Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone know if this symbol means anything?  (Read 10033 times)

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Unitarian Universalist Pagan Witch
Anyone know if this symbol means anything?
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:34:13 AM »

This symbol was scratched into my skin on my wrist last Thursday. I wasn't wearing anything with buttons or buckles, had no bracelets or anything on my wrists, hadn't crossed my arms or anything. I just happened to look down at my wrist (reaching for the car door handle) and noticed it. It wasn't really a scratch (no broken/torn skin) but it was raised and swollen. About 1.5 - 2 inches long. It was there the majority of the afternoon, but I can't say when it left. It didn't fade, it was the same redness every time I looked at it, but I just know at one point it was gone.

Sorry for the cruddy image. I had to draw it in paint. I would do more research, but I have no idea where to start looking...

thegeekwitch

• Apprentice
  • Mood: Melancholy
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan with Wiccan and Druidic Leanings
  • Terri
    • Geek Witch
Re: Anyone know if this symbol means anything?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 02:47:28 AM »

My first thought was a trident, but then I wondered if it might be related to the rune Algiz, which reversed can mean "Hidden danger, consumption by divine forces, loss of divine link. Taboo, warning, turning away, that which repels."

Blessings,
Terri xx

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 09:05:48 AM »

Looks like an inverted glyph of Neptune to me.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

VisionFromAfar

• Vanquiser of Foolishness
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood: :raven:
  • Spiritual Path: Under construction.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:16:53 PM »

It would help to know which end was pointed towards your hand, and to you, which orientation is more important? That is, if you were to get a symbol tattooed/drawn/scratched/etc. there, would you have it as the bottom pointed towards your wrist (oriented for an observer) or towards your elbow (oriented "right-side up" when you life your arm to look at it)?
Also, Algiz is possible, but doesn't have the "flair" (for lack of a better word) on the long staff opposite the two branches.
A man listens thus he learns. - Havamal

It takes a Viking to raze a village.

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 10:16:53 PM »

It would help to know which end was pointed towards your hand, and to you, which orientation is more important? That is, if you were to get a symbol tattooed/drawn/scratched/etc. there, would you have it as the bottom pointed towards your wrist (oriented for an observer) or towards your elbow (oriented "right-side up" when you life your arm to look at it)?
Also, Algiz is possible, but doesn't have the "flair" (for lack of a better word) on the long staff opposite the two branches.

It was just like that, on the side of my wrist (below my thumb). I sort of assumed that it was oriented "right-side up" so that I could see it as it was. I took a picture of that actually marking, and now that I look at it, the hook at the top might not have been attached completely attached.

Oh, hey! Why don't I just show you?

Not the best picture. Hopefully you can see what I mean.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:21:44 PM by FairyQueen »

Claude

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Hellenic Polytheist/Devotee of Dionysus
    • FLAMENDEORVM
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 11:54:14 PM »

It looks like a trident to me.
There is no cure for madness when the cure itself is mad.-Euripides

God give me the wisdom to know the things I can't change and the strength to change the things I can.-The Bucket List (maybe)

Nicodemus

• Mood: Happy
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic pantheism
    • A site I frequent
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 05:10:47 AM »

Hi FairyQueen
Not sure if the mark has now faded or if this is still relevant. The trident has some interesting philosophical meanings in relation to Shaivism, should you wish to find out more. For example, the three prongs represent the three states of consciousness: wakefulness, dreaming, deep sleep. They are all on a single prong because the Lord pervades all three states. These are my words, I am not sure if I can quote that, but can delve deeper if still required.

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 11:51:20 AM »

Thank you Nicodemus! The mark has faded, but it was certainly there long enough for me to take notice. I'll totally add that thought to the others and do some research!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 23 queries.