Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiccaning?  (Read 8784 times)

FairyMom

Wiccaning?
« on: August 21, 2014, 03:38:57 PM »

So... I just had my baby boy 3 months ago. He is so magical. Very intuitive and responsive for his age!

Anyways, coming from Italian families, my fiance and I were being pressured into getting the baby baptized. Unfortunately,  my fiance's family is unaware of my wiccan/pagan beliefs as well as my fiancĂ©'s acceptance of it. My mother and I are both pagan/wiccan... so my family knows my beliefs.
My fiance and I canceled the baptism because I want my boy to grow and choose his religious path on his own. I also don't believe in the Christian reasoning behind baptisms.

I have heard of wiccanings, similar to a baptism, is anyone familiar with them? I know my fiancé's family will not approve of this but this is what we want for our child.

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
Re: Wiccaning?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 04:03:08 PM »

Such ceremonies are more for the benefit of the parents, than the child. The Wiccaning is more benign than a Christening, in that you are not consigning the child's soul to a particular god, just presenting it to the Gods and to the community. I personally would not, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:22:23 PM »

GW might should have mentioned that he is not a Wiccan... :whistle:  I would think that if I were young enough to present him with a child, I would be likely to want to present him/her to our kindred and ask for the blessings of the gods and vaetter.  Nothing wrong with strengthening the childs haminja (luck) IMO.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

FairyMom

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 04:24:07 PM »

I see what you mean GW... And dragonspring that was my intention. Just presenting him.  However, it truly isn't necessary. I guess I will look into it more and decide.  Seems like it would be more of a celebration than anything too serious! Anything to celebrate such a wonderful baby! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.