Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samhain 2014  (Read 9591 times)

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
Samhain 2014
« on: October 31, 2014, 09:54:52 AM »

You'd think the joint would be jumping more than it is, but it's been quiet all the way around, it seems. For the first time in a long time, I won't be home to receive Trick-or-Treaters, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm working the game tonight, so I doubt it will bother me for long. I'm almost hoping the roomie will be gone when I get home, because I could do with some alone time in the house. Not that it's a problem, I hardly know he's there most of the time anyway, but if I do want to do some reflection, I will be more comfortable if he's not there at all.

I tend to be more in tune with the solstices and equinoxes, so Sabbats like Samhain sometimes leave me at a loss. Which is weird, because it's supposed to be The Big One. But there us so much change going on in my life and in everything in general that I feel like I should make more of an effort to connect now.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:12:20 AM by Tirya »
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
Re: Samhain 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 10:18:25 AM »

Blessed Samhain, Tirya! I agree it has been quiet. My kids are getting older and my Samhain dinner tradition got broken a few years ago so I am feeling subdued this year myself but am trying to make an effort to get a little more into it and just go with the flow.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »

It has been very quiet.  Halloween here was bitter cold and wet with snow in the mountains and we didn't see any trick or treaters.  We were out shopping and stocking up and saw a few people in costumes, but I doubt we would have had any at the house.  Our house sits about 100 yards off the road on a hill. 

I have spent the last couple of weeks watching the leaves change and marveling at how they exit in such a brilliant blaze of glory.  I have also been doing a lot of introspection and trying to reconcile the Celtic and Nordic influences on my own spirituality.  I think my practice is changing with not so much emphasis on ritual details and more on living it everyday. I feel the pull of the ancestors and plan to make an offering on the ancestor altar sometime between now and Friday. Right now it just feels like mid-winter but it should warm up a little this week and November 7th is the astronomical date for Samhain anyway.  Winter Nights or Disablot has already been celebrated by the Asatruar and the Feast of the Einherjar (honored dead/chosen warriors) corresponds with Veteran's Day.

Hail to the Ancestors and Blessed Samhain to all!

Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: through the spiritual garden
    • CUUmbaya
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 12:37:04 PM »

Halloween last night was 36 degrees, with rain changing to snow. Our Samhain tomorrow will be indoors. Damned Global Warming!

peace,
ES
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 09:16:46 PM »

Since my coven disbanded my Samhain is pretty quiet. I sat on my porch and handed out candy to the brave few who ventured out in the cold drizzle, the Lord of Fools or Mischief I see in the trick or treat tradition. I did try and remember people who have passed which is what I had decided the holiday was about over time. The celebration of both life and death. I try and see in the season a reflection of how everything comes to an end.
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 28 queries.