Pagan Journeys > Paths and Traditions

Why I don't consider Wicca a shamanic religion.

<< < (4/11) > >>

Artemis_moon:

--- Quote --- Further, it might help the WalMart Wiccan move past the white-light-n-bunnies phase to truly confront the Shadow-self.
May I add that facing the Dark is a royal beeyotch at best, regardless of trad; it's not for drive by Wiccans, nor for anyone faint of heart or light of scrote.

--- End quote ---

You couldn't be more right! But sadly so few will realize balance is everything and with darkness comes light and with balance comes enlightenment and wisdom. Thank you for writing this piece. I loved it. Very informative and intelligent. I get annoyed when people get these things mixed up, but its easy for the ill educated and ignorant to mix all of the earth based faiths and put them in one basket. I actually got asked if being Pagan was like being a scientologist. I was steaming mad inside. lol SERIOUSLY!!! GRRR lol Thanks again I loved it really. And it inspired me to write my next journal entry :)

Rovay:
Reading this again, I do want to mention one of the oldest rules about shamanism - it is not a path by choice. True, you can follow the practices in your attempt to become something close to that, but even then you can call yourself "follower" or "shaman beginner" or something like that. True shamanism is not given by choice. It is often that people survive a horrible accident, or recover from a condition modern medicine can't cure, because they have been asked the question.

Usually it evolves around finding yourself in a coma or something like that, during which you are asked by the gods/spirits if you will wish to follow the path as a shaman and heal for them. The question will occur only once, and those who deny it are never asked again. Some of them regret it for the rest of their life.

Anyway, Wicca, destined or not, doesn't involve the whole "being asked a question" thing that is pretty much common for all types of shamanism. Doesn't mean that someone who isn't just following the shaman practice won't be asked the question at some point, but until he is and answered the question with "yes" he cannot truly heal, nor should call himself a shaman.

Ghost Wolf:
What is this cryptic "question" to which you refer?  :confused:

Muffin is an Atheist Shaman, so I'm sure she'll disagree.

Rovay:
Not sure exactly, hasn't happened to me for all I know. It is literally that, "Want to be a healer?" or "Want to be a shaman?" or something of the sorts asked during the coma-like state, which can be three days or just 5 mins during a crash. Yes or No question, basically, different traditions and different cults explain it differently. I did found similarity in the Siberian and Native American traditions when it came to this question, though.

I think I read somewhere it was just a "Yes or No" choice or something like that. But anyway, you are chosen and given a choice; at least that is what I know for the common shamanism. I am not familiar with the atheist shamanism you speak of, it probably has different traditions and traits.

Ghost Wolf:
Muffin would have to explain it. I don't understand it myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version