Pagan Journeys > Paths and Traditions

Why I don't consider Wicca a shamanic religion.

<< < (9/11) > >>

Ghost Wolf:
The plethora of "Wicca 101" books out there, beginning in the 90s, is both a blessing and a curse. Much misinformation has been circulated, which it is our duty to dispel when we can.

(BTW Muffin, you brought the initiation issue up originally ;))

Rovay:
Pft, I messed up on my facts very bad, not sure where I got the invoker thing from. The shaman had three primary functions, Priest, Healer and Prophet, while the three types of shaman were by primary skill Estatic, Prophet and Incantation shaman.

earthmuffin:
Meh, I don't have a problem with the Wicca 101 books. To me, spirituality is an extremely personal path and each to his own, whatever you want to call it. Wicca will evolve whether traditional Wiccans like it or not. Maybe eventually the differences will be great enough that everyone will start calling solitaries something else.

I agree the calling is an important characteristic of shamanism, but like I said some shamans have the title passed on by their relatives so it doesn't characterize all shamans. And I think most shamans would agree it really isn't cool. It's pretty horrid actually. My question about do you choose it or are you led to a path by spirits or deity should have been revised to "or dragged kicking and screaming in the case of shamanism."

Rovay:
Hehehe, EM, I like your way of expressing your opinion. Kicking and screaming is quite correct, even if I judge by the few times I was saved from death I can imagine the call being pretty darn horrid, but truth be told, that is, what in my opinion, makes it distinguishably special and different from Wicca. By "cool" I meant what makes it damn unique; because all spiritual paths share some similar traits, but this one I find to be the main trait no other has.

Scratch that, "most other" doesn't sound better, nothing springs to mind that is close to the shamanistic call in my head, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

earthmuffin:
A mystical conversion might be similar. There is also spontaneous kundalini awakening, which some describe as being similar in some respects. Then there's being abducted by aliens and sent back down to earth to teach the alien religion... (I'm getting silly now in case that wasn't obvious).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version