Sabbats/Holidays and Esbats > Samhain or All Hallows Eve

What should I do for Samhain?

(1/3) > >>

diniesaur:
I know it's coming up. I will definitely want to cook for my family. I would like to do a small ritual to celebrate it, but I don't know if that's possible. My brother is four years old, and though the way my mom raises him leans towards Christianity, I think she would be okay if I did some nature crafts with him or something like that. He will go trick-or-treating, and I usually hand out candy while he's out. What is the best way for me to show my reverence for the dead and celebrate Samhain?

BronwynWolf:
It can be as simple as an offering of food {We tend to leave an apple and some drink outside that night}, a candle lit in memory of those who have Passed, especially in the last year, or a full rite, which is probably not an option for you. Make carmel apples with your brother, take him on his rounds, decorate with seasonal stuff, and make a New Year's Resolution. Samhain is "The day of the dead when the year too dies" {Susan Cooper, 'The Dark is Rising' series) Keep the day fun and funky, and the night for introspection.

diniesaur:
That's a good idea. Some of my pets have died this year, so I will ask my mom if I can light a candle; she will probably let me since she likes candles. I might also give a food offering, too.

Zlat:
For me, a lot of Samhain involves reflection and deciding what aspects of my life I would like to leave behind or transform, and those I would like to retain for the following year. It's also a time for me to let go of things that have been held onto for far too long, and making goals for the next 12 months.

After that is either a bonfire or candles (depending on my circumstances), and leaving a food offering for the spirits that have left us (not just my family and friends, but all spirits), and taking a moment to honor and pray for the safe passage of those that have gone on their own journey in the after-life.

... then I sit on the couch and watch horror movies and eat candy and freak out the little kids who come knocking for treats  :D

I could go into more details as to my practices if you want, but not right now (I'm not at home at the moment). Just let me know.

diniesaur:
That's a good idea to think about which parts of life to change and which to keep the same. I think I will do that; maybe I should do some writing, too. I don't have access to a bonfire, but maybe candles will be good. I think an offering for the spirits would be good, too. I would like the offering to be somethink I cook, rather than something I just buy at the store. Does anyone know any good recipes?

Praying for the safe passage of the people who have recently died is a good idea; I never thought of that. I will also have fun handing out the candy to the cute little kids!  :loveheart:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version