Sabbats/Holidays and Esbats > Samhain or All Hallows Eve

Opinions on Halloween

<< < (2/2)

dragonspring:
I have always thought this would be a good idea for the reasons you listed.

FairyQueen:
Hmm, something I'll have to really ponder as a parent and as a Pagan. I like the idea of keeping the "Holy" day Holy and separating the fun to another day, but at the same time, just because Christmas was Christmas and I got to open presents doesn't mean I was safe from Mass the same day. Interesting, interesting.

I wonder if that'll spread to this coast, anyhow.

BronwynWolf:
Actually, it seems pretty wide-spread, if not all that popular yet. Around here, the parties and parades tend to be on the week-ends...

earthmuffin:
I don't think I would like it. My spiritual celebration involves the kids' fun. So if they separated the two then I'd end up celebrating twice or moving my spiritual celebration to the day chosen for the secular celebration. I'm a bit like Fox in that I enjoy the tradition/history and it bugs a little that we would change the day for convenience.

HappyZealot:

--- Quote from: earthmuffin on February 14, 2012, 09:25:53 AM ---I don't think I would like it. My spiritual celebration involves the kids' fun. So if they separated the two then I'd end up celebrating twice or moving my spiritual celebration to the day chosen for the secular celebration. I'm a bit like Fox in that I enjoy the tradition/history and it bugs a little that we would change the day for convenience.

--- End quote ---

Yup.  To me the entire day is an observance.  If I can get the entire day off, I spend part of the day picking local apples, and getting pie & cider, in Oak Glen (a little apple-growing village here in So CA.)  I put the black robe on as soon as I can... it's the only day of the year you can wear it about without looking too freakish.   :whistle:
The latter half of the day is devoted to costumes, kids, & candy.  As the trick-r-treating winds down I jump in the kitchen and whip up a huuuuuuge batch of colcannon.... which is usually washed down with ale, hard cider, or both.  Then a movie.  Later, after the wife & cubs are tucked in, I do my ritual thing.  It's almost a sunrise-to-sunrise affair.  Yes, it's draining, and yes, I'm wiped out the next day, but I wouldn't change it. 
I think for most of us here, Hallows ain't just a day...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version