Pagan Journeys > Paths and Traditions

Asatru/Heathen Discrimination?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Claude:
Ehhh there are female masons now and I don't know enough about your point with the Native Americans to comment.

When groups come out and say that their reasoning is simply because someone is LGBT or of a different ethnicity then ya it is intolerant and racist. If however the Asatru groups clinging to that idea would simply inform the person that they could very well be the only non white or gay in the Kindred then it's a different story. One is simply telling the truth whereas the other is hiding their agenda with a self righteous cause. They believe that they are saving the interested person the trouble by not accepting them in the first place. When in all honesty the Kindred doesn't have the slightest clue if that would bother the person or not. Here is a challenge find me a kindred that denies LGBTs and non white Europeans entry on the grounds that they'll feel uncomfortable that doesn't spew any kind of racist or homophobic comments in public or in private. I doubt the Masons sat around and talked about hating women before they let them make their own lodges.

dragonspring:
I never said that all the Kindred are tolerant of others.  Only that some of them deny others because they are not of the blood of the Ancestors who play a large part in their religion.  Judging someone to be racist because they are practicing their own faith is just as intolerant as racism IMO. I don't have to prove anything; it is just my opinion and you are entitled to yours.  And for the record, the female and coed lodges outside of France are not recognized by the Grand Lodge at all, so the Freemasons didn't let women make lodges.  It is a fraternal organization.

earthmuffin:
I'm pretty sure Native Americans do not exclude whites who have a genuine interest in learning their spiritual ways from a knowledgeable Native American elder so I am not sure the analogy is to exclusive Heathen groups is a good one.

I'm of Nordic descent though it's mixed with a lot of other types of European ancestry. I've never had a desire to pursue Asatru but this discussion has me wondering what kind of reception an American mutt like me would get from those groups if I did feel that it was my calling. I'm not trying to stir the pot with my comments; just trying to understand what seems like a fine line between intolerance and exclusivity from an outsider's perspective.

dragonspring:
I don't see much difference between the beliefs of the Kindred and Native Americans in regards to sharing their beliefs.  I have been to workshops held by both.  In my experience, neither refuse to share at least some of their practices or beliefs with others.  Nor do they discourage the worship of their Gods.  But they do exclude outsiders from joining their groups to various degrees.    I don't think that most American Asatru have pure blood requirements so I am sure you would be fine should you decide to seek their company.  But somehow, I just cant envision you on that path.  ;)

Eternal Seeker:

"Yes, and if you truly believe in reincarnation, then your ancestry this life around is not your only ancestry." It is for traditional Asatru! They believed that you were only reincarnated in your own blood line, and had to wait in Hel until someone was born into your family. (Hel being only a sound-alike to the Christian afterlife; it was not necessarily a place of punishment) That's why they held family in such high regard, and made such a fetish of bravery- if your family died out before you- either from war or flu- you just lost your ticket to reincarnation... UNLESS you had been brave enough for a Valkyrie to pick you up personally. Some of the prisoners I minister to are dealing with this.

peace,
ES

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version