Pagan Journeys > Paths and Traditions

Hedge Witchery and Other Shamanic Practices

<< < (3/4) > >>

Shalandriel:
Well, it depends.  What methods have you tried?  Sometimes simple meditation just isn't enough.  Personally, I can't just sit still and meditate, I'm too twitchy.  I prefer an active method, like dancing.  I play heavy music, like drumming, in the background and simply act out what feels right to me.  My husband introduced me to dubstep and it's strangely effective for me.  I find that when I get active like that, it pretty much makes it impossible to focus on anything else, allowing me to enter the right state of mind.  It's really hard to give specific advice because everyone is different.  Just try different methods until you find one that works better for you then fine tune it.

NowhereMan:
I've tried simple meditation and meditation with a recorded drum beat in the background, which seems to help quite a bit. I've also considered going under/outsitting to better facilitate a deeper meditative state, but I haven't tried it yet.

dragonspring:
I had not heard of outsitting, but it seems like it might be effective.  Appears to be similar to utiseta as I have come to understand it.  As for me, I have found hiking alone to be a very effective meditation tool.  The rhythmic clicking of my hiking pole on a moderately easy trail is very soothing and helps me enter a light trance state. Normally, I can enter a trance state pretty easily by playing the singing bowl or lying quietly on my bed.  When I am having trouble concentrating, I have found sitting in complete darkness and practicing the four fold breathing technique to be effective though. 

NowhereMan:

--- Quote from: dragonspring on August 11, 2013, 09:05:45 PM ---I had not heard of outsitting, but it seems like it might be effective.  Appears to be similar to utiseta as I have come to understand it.
--- End quote ---

Utiseta is, as far as I know, a form of outsitting. Outsitting, or whatever it may be called depending on the person, is a more general practice of veiling oneself to induce a trance state. Utiseta is usually more specific, in that one goes under the veil on a burial mound or grave in order to commune with the dead and ask their assistance.

--- Quote --- As for me, I have found hiking alone to be a very effective meditation tool.  The rhythmic clicking of my hiking pole on a moderately easy trail is very soothing and helps me enter a light trance state. Normally, I can enter a trance state pretty easily by playing the singing bowl or lying quietly on my bed.  When I am having trouble concentrating, I have found sitting in complete darkness and practicing the four fold breathing technique to be effective though.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I believe that, overall, I just need more practice. All things in their own time. :D

Shalandriel:
I have practiced something similar to outsitting with the goddess Hekate in the past.  In ancient Greece, Her followers would practice this form of trance to induce visions. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version