Pagan Journeys > Paths and Traditions

Hedge Witchery and Other Shamanic Practices

<< < (4/4)

NowhereMan:
Hm, interesting. I knew that the Pythias were said to go under the veil for their prophecy work, but I didn't know that Hekate's followers did the same.

Shalandriel:
Well, she is considered the goddess of the veil between the worlds.  She is the goddess of the crossroads, magic, witchcraft, necromancy.  She holds secrets of death and rebirth.  The work I did with her was very shamanic in nature.  I actually went through my ritual death while working with her, which involves a trance state.  It's mostly about confronting your "shadow-self".  The Pythia is usually depicted as sitting over what appears to be a crevice from which steam is being emitted.  Many people now believe that the steam/gas contained fumes that would induce trance/visions/hallucinations.  So, it is still a trance state, but achieved differently.  Also, with the Pythia, there were priests who would attend the Oracle and they were the ones who would decipher the meaning of her words, whereas a follower of Hekate would be left to do that themselves.  Visions from Apollo might benefit many people or foretell the future, whereas visions from Hekate are typically for the diviner specifically.

Eternal Seeker:

I use and teach a form of Trataka; it's quite effective, even early in the learning curve.

peace,
ES

Shalandriel:

--- Quote from: Eternal Seeker on August 12, 2013, 04:26:26 PM ---
I use and teach a form of Trataka; it's quite effective, even early in the learning curve.

peace,
ES

--- End quote ---

I practiced this when I first started learning how to meditate and enter a trance state.  I've done it with a candle flame and a black mirror.

VisionFromAfar:
I realize I'm chiming in late, but things have been nuts around the homestead lately.

Sitting outside can work, but not always. Most of the time, I usually get the attention of our overly curious and amusing fae that hang about. One night, however, it was still quite cold for the just the T-shirt I usually wear, with ~45 degree windchill, and I had taken one of my idols (a delightful bust of the Valfather) outside with me as a focus. Between having an object of focus, the cold, and the darkness, it was probably the deepest I've gone into a trance yet, and felt the attention of more than one deity (which was alarming and intense, to be sure). Sometimes I get the urge to stand just outside my porch in a thunderstorm (crazy, I know), but I usually fall into a light trance between the rumble and crash and staccato rain. Keep your mind open and be ready for when someone wants to talk, as it may not always be on your schedule. Just be as safe as you can while you do it.
I'm not advocating ANYONE do this crazy stuff like me, just throwing out examples of how just about anything might be the trigger or help you need to alter your state of mind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version