Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on the Fey  (Read 15619 times)

VisionFromAfar

• Vanquiser of Foolishness
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood: :raven:
  • Spiritual Path: Under construction.
Question on the Fey
« on: April 13, 2010, 09:27:57 AM »

Greetings one and all, from my first post!  :yeah:

Looking around, this seems like a board full of amazing people, so here's my first question:

Where can I learn more about the Fey?

Here's why I'm asking:

Relatively recently, I settled on a Norse path for my studies. This is not in the least surprising, since I have Norwegians, Sweedes, Swiss, and Germans in my ancestry and I just started a family myself. For a long time before I came to the realization of my pagan-ness (is that the word I'm looking for?), I had been drawn to the Runes, finally making my own set and I've been slowly learning to work with them over the past year.
     I recently picked up a wonderful book titled "The Runes of Elfland" http://www.amazon.com/Runes-Elfland-Ari-Berk/dp/0810946122 , which ties the Runes to the Fey in a wonderful mix of art and storytelling. Here's where I get smacked with the cluex4. My wife is much more sensitive to things than I am, so she usually acts as a messanger for whoever wants to talk to me. The other night she started asking about faries in bottles, an older woman, and my artwork involving gold filigree or copper wire. I haven't a clue what she's referring to, but the answers usually make themselves known when the time is right.
     Within two days of this, I began to care about the yard. Now, I usually keep the lawn trimmed and try to keep the weeds from taking over, but could rarely be bothered to do much else in the year since I moved in. All of a sudden I really, really wanted to make everything look nice, so I've been working myself ragged trying to "freshen up" my lawn and patio areas, even planting a ring of flowers in a garden area that I didn't know existed (the angry vines had completely covered the circle of landscaping stones!).

Where could I find out more about who might be trying to get in touch with me, or who has already connected with me? I'm coming here because a google search, well, didn't get me the results I needed, and I hoped that maybe someone here might know of a book or site that could help me. I'm sorry this post is so long-winded.  :whistle:

I hope that soon I can actually add something useful to this amazing forum.
A man listens thus he learns. - Havamal

It takes a Viking to raze a village.

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
Re: Question on the Fey
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:36:28 AM »

I don't know anything about the Fey, but I wanted to say hello and welcome.  :wave:
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 09:49:28 AM »

I don't have mush personal experience with the Fey either but we do have some here who do. 
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

LadyOrchid

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Eccentric Pagan
    • Witch amid the Shamrock
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 02:04:31 PM »

Hi VisionFromAfar- not sure which book or website might be the one you need with the answers you are looking for? But you are definately being led by the fey around your garden- they love their space and when a human helps to restore areas of neglect- they are obviously looking to get in touch- good luck with that. Leave them some honey- the love that too.
What you give is What you get returned

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 03:06:13 PM »

Hi VisionFromAfar- not sure which book or website might be the one you need with the answers you are looking for? But you are definately being led by the fey around your garden- they love their space and when a human helps to restore areas of neglect- they are obviously looking to get in touch- good luck with that. Leave them some honey- the love that too.

I agree, Leave them honey and some shiney objects such as mixed matched costume jewelry, buttons and what not.

Keep the area clean for them and they wont bother you too much.  But be careful, the Fae can be little tricksters too if you make them mad.  Or sometimes they can be tricksters just to do it.  But leaving trinkets around for them to play with usually keep them at bay

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more

VisionFromAfar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 04:25:11 PM »

First off, thanks everyone for the warm welcome and advice!  :thankyou:

I will definately leave some "shinies" and a saucer of milk out for them tonight (out of honey atm, will pick some up when I can).

I (thought that I) picked out the flowers for my little garden more or less randomly, but on a whim I just looked up the meaning of them, and it goes as follows:
Outer ring (12, 4 lined up to the compass using the sun as a guide) : Impatiens - Motherly love
Inner ring (4 lined up to the compass using the sun, again) : Marigold - Acceptance
Center : "Rosy Cheeks" Carnations - Love
Anyone else think this might be Freya (Queen of the Elves/Fey/Vanir)?   :omg:

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 12:37:21 AM »

I don't think it's Freya, she would manifest in a way that would be unmistakable - believe me, I know.  :D They are landvaettir: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landvættir
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 07:45:12 AM »

The good and positive little energies do like some order, the wilder and creepier ones like things a little messy. One thing to do if the fay are around you is when you weed and trim to apologize to the earth spirits for that which you take explaining why you are doing it to them. The little gifts do go a long way a outdoor fairy altar with a few stones to place things on is good. The little energies are not all knowing so give them predictable behavior, particular places for the gifts, set routines that they can follow. Now people might think you are a little nuts out there talking in your garden so be discreet.
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

VisionFromAfar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 09:55:19 AM »

My friends already think I'm a little bonkers, Vordan, so I'm not too worried about scaring them.  :D

That's actually a relief, GW, b/c after Odin repeatedly whacked me in the head for not recognising him, I don't need another god(dess) demanding attention as well. I just don't know how much more of this I can take. It's like as soon as I get adjusted, someone/something else pops up. I'm just glad they're all waiting until I can wrap my head around who it is this time!  :faint:

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Unitarian Universalist Pagan Witch
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 12:29:04 AM »

I realize this is a very old thread, but I wanted to ask if anyone has read this (http://www.widdershins.org/vol3iss2/l9704.htm) and what they think about the...uh...credibility(?) of it? I just found this (I am very interested in the Fey and I'm sure that has to do with the meaning of my given name) and want to be sure I'm not lead astray. Vision is right in that there is very little definitive information about the Fey on the internet.

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 02:16:33 AM »

Most of what she's written is consistent with my own experiences.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 11:38:06 AM »

Most of what she's written is consistent with my own experiences.

I imagine my mother would say the same thing - but I have yet to be able to ask her. Though I think her experience has more to do with Euro Fey. *shrug* I'll ask.

Vision, I'm sorry I hijacked your thread :/

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 11:53:51 AM »

The "Euro Fey" came over here with us...
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 11:59:20 AM »

According to the article I posted above there are difference in Fey "race" as there are in human race. The North American Fey being more "earthy and less airy" (to quote the article). I would have to ask my mother about her experiences and ask her to tell me in detail - but again I have no real face to face experience with the Fey to back up the author's claims or my mothers.

I mean, who is to say that the Fey didn't immigrate with the settlers and so forth, too. I'm just going off of what I read. 

VisionFromAfar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 03:31:44 PM »

Vision, I'm sorry I hijacked your thread :/

No worries, that's what they're here for!  :D

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 09:14:01 PM »

According to the article I posted above there are difference in Fey "race" as there are in human race. The North American Fey being more "earthy and less airy" (to quote the article). I would have to ask my mother about her experiences and ask her to tell me in detail - but again I have no real face to face experience with the Fey to back up the author's claims or my mothers.

I mean, who is to say that the Fey didn't immigrate with the settlers and so forth, too. I'm just going off of what I read.

One of the parts that I would say I don't agree with was this.  Another was her assertion that fey sometimes shape shift into animals.  Not that I don't agree with whether or not either could be, just that I've not had that experience. 

Fey can pretty much do what they want, and can go where they please.  I think it's just more likely that she has only certain types of fey around her (for whatever reason) and don't doubt that the fey she deals with may do the morph thing.  The fey near me don't "follow the rules" that she's talked about in the article.  Someone else may have an experience different than both hers and mine. ;)
Albert Einstein

Zlat

• Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 10:24:17 PM »

One of the parts that I would say I don't agree with was this.  Another was her assertion that fey sometimes shape shift into animals.  Not that I don't agree with whether or not either could be, just that I've not had that experience.

Just figured I'd add a little tidbit here for CrystalDragon's curiosity. I have witnessed a local Faery appear as a butterfly-looking thing, but when I stopped to look at it closer (I was a little dumbfounded) it became a leaf. In my house... in winter... a bright orange leaf...  :whistle: subtle.

Regarding animals, I couldn't say. But appearing as leaves, bubbles, water-drops, those I'm convinced they are capable of. :)

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 11:01:42 PM »

Would you agree with the author on how to go about communicating with the Fey? I mean, I can come to my own conclusions about what they look like and how they act if I ever am privileged enough to encounter one, so I want to be sure I'm using my best Fey etiquette.

Zlat

• Apprentice
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 12:51:27 AM »

I think for starters I would invite them to join you for treats, meals, playing, rituals, etc... Make a space for them.
Visual meditation is used for every kind of spirit guide communication; personally I find they communicate quite well without that step.

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 01:24:18 PM »

They probably won't communicate unless they are comfortable around you.  Make them little houses to inhabit, leave little baubles (they love rose quartz) to play with, basically invite them into your home.  Then when you try and communicate they will be more willing. ;)
Albert Einstein

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 09:22:47 PM »

The only thing I have learned in my dealing with them is that things are on their terms only. They will intereact with you at their whim and take offense at being forced to do anything. The shapeshifting I have heard about and think possible.  Think of it this way you never really see anything, your brain interprets electromagnetic impulses resulting in vision. A being which is a form of conscious electromagnetic energy should be able to project any image they want into your brain. If life has colonized every enviroment it has encountered, water, land, sky, trees, caves it is possible it would colonize the realms of energy and thought.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 07:01:39 AM by vordan »
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

shadowewolf

• Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 10:38:58 PM »

Not much left to add here except that anyone who wants to start working with the Good Cousins should definately read Brian Froud's works.  I would also add that speaking from experience if you invite Them in you best have a nicely marked way for Them to get out else stuff WILL go missing whilst you are at work simply because they're bored. I can't speak for anyone else's experience but my lot get hopelessly turned around indoors.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 25 queries.