Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Current Sh**storm  (Read 12499 times)

VisionFromAfar

• Vanquiser of Foolishness
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood: :raven:
  • Spiritual Path: Under construction.
The Current Sh**storm
« on: April 15, 2016, 08:44:33 AM »

Am I the only one sick an tired of all the personal and vitriolic attacks swirling about the pagan blogosphere at the moment? Every time I try to push back respectfully I get brushed aside by the BNPs ("Big Name Pagans") too busy rattling their sabers at each other. It's exhausting to read. I can provide some context links if y'all want, but fair warning, it's real ugly and if you're not aware of it yet, ignorance might be bliss.
A man listens thus he learns. - Havamal

It takes a Viking to raze a village.

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
Re: The Current Sh**storm
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 10:13:03 AM »

It would be helpful if you provided links. I don't follow the Pagan blogosphere much.  Pretty much dropped out of that whole scene when I figured out that there is more ego than substance.  Not that it is a purely Pagan thing - seems to me that there is a lot of finger pointing and name calling going around everywhere and that people are generally at each others throats.  Sign of the time I guess. 
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 01:55:09 PM »

I've pretty much removed myself from most online activities (no blogs, FB, etc) the last year or so.  Too much really negative crap floating around online and in the news and all the pre-election garbage isn't helping.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 03:54:13 PM »

I don't even read that crap anymore. It's all pretty much BS. I've met "Big Name" Pagans in the past, and most of them are out-and-out nutjobs with delusions of grandeur. Save yourself some grief and just stop reading them.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

DragonsFriend

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Arratu, evolved from the Sumerian myths & practice
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 01:29:36 PM »

I don't know about blogs and such but I have personally met several "big name" pagans in my years of being Pagan. Most are internationally known like Oberon Zell, Pete "pathfinder" Davis, BlackSun, and Paul Beyerl. The last three lived in the greater Seattle area. Pete Davis has passed on and has left a legacy that will last. They are/were all very good people. I have a personal and professional reference from Paul Beyerl to use since I moved out of the Seattle area. I first met Pete back in the late 70s just a bit before the wars started over his wanting to form a Wiccan Church called the ATC. He was successful and the ATC was one of, if not, the first Wiccan 501c3 churches in the USA. I deeply admired the man and the priest that he was.
I have also known some "elders" that should have been "dealt with" for their obnoxious and childish behavior towards "interlopers" who had more to offer than some elders. It turns out that people are people no matter the title they wear or the religion they follow.
A mature witch's life should reflect the balance of the universe

anarchistbanjo

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 08:19:39 AM »

I stopped participating in forums and such several years ago for much the same reason. I think I've kind of worked through it hopefully. I've also noticed it in writer's workshops and its probably everywhere. It seems that people are friendly and supportive and will work with you to bring you up to their level or almost up to their level and then will refuse to support you any further. An ego thing like others have said. As long as they are on top they will be friendly and perhaps condescending? But Goddess forbid treat anyone as equals! Chuckle.

I said I think I've worked through it because I'm here for the social contact and the last thing I need or want is to blow my own horn and annoy others. I suspect it will be awhile before I introduce a topic of my own because I want to get to know everyone else first. I'm more comfortable responding to topics that interest others right now.

I did meet Raymond Buckland twice and participated in a Beltaine ritual in which he was an invited guest. He seemed a bit distant but friendly. I should clarify and say he signed a book for me! That isn't really meeting him is it? Chuckle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 26 queries.