Pagan Journeys > Paths and Traditions

Beats me...

<< < (2/2)

vordan:
My sister became more conservative as a tumor destroyed parts of her brain. She had a real shift in personality as the tumor grew, there could be something physical hopefully nothing that severe.

dragonspring:
I used to be a Sunday school teacher so I don't see anything really strange about someone making a change in their path, but I do understand how you feel.  My sister used to be very open to my beliefs and then she shifted to a more fundamentalist Christian mindset.  About the best we can do now is agree not to discuss religion.

Since you mentioned your mentor's mental breakdown, I thought I would offer some personal observations.  Most esoteric paths eventually require a period of intense self-examination where a person faces their own shadow self.  In this phase, one must honestly examine their own failings and faults and sometimes this examination extends to past lives.  It could be that your mentor went through this "dark night of the soul" and was unable to cope with it.  I can certainly see how someone might turn to a faith that offers a promise of salvation regardless of one's failings.

I would also point out that some people are drawn to battles in other realms  (or perhaps with their own demons) and sometimes they do not come back into this realm as quite the same person.  I know personally of several people who have suffered mental and even physical illness after such activities.  Shamanic healing might help to repair the soul damage caused by these encounters.  Traditional medicine will treat these instances with medication that may serve to mask the soul damage enough for the person to function.  Some people never come back to themselves though.

Regardless of whether any of these scenarios are what happened to your friend, I am glad that she found a path that gives her comfort.  There are many paths to the Divine and sometimes they wind around in unexpected ways.  :)

rainshadow:
Thank you DS, that really helps me understand  ()

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version