Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting thought on practicing  (Read 9247 times)

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
Interesting thought on practicing
« on: September 06, 2010, 04:37:17 PM »

I was reading on a photography blog the other day about a lack of motivation to actually get out and take pictures.  This is definitely something I have run into in multiple areas of my life, so it was something that sparked my interest in how this particular blogger tries to overcome it.  His advice?  GO TAKE PHOTOS ANYWAY! 

Of course my first thought was, "That is so much easier said than done!"  What do you do when the lighting is bad or you are just too tired to go out walking around or you don't know what you want to photograph?  According to this blogger, you go out and do it anyway, no matter your excuse, you will find something interesting to photograph.

The idea got me to thinking about my spiritual practice, or current lack there of and if I could apply the "Do it anyway" principal to that.  It is an interesting thought.  All the times that I've not felt like I've had the energy or the motivation to do a ritual, I wonder how I would have felt if I'd just pushed on and done one anyway.  I wouldn't have to go overboard, just make the effort to do something, even if it is lighting a candle or sitting in the quiet for 5 minutes.  Something is better than nothing.

I think the same could be said for a lot of things I do, whether it be photography of something other than products, getting crafty with beads and metal, exercising or with my spiritual practice.  If you think about it from the perspective this blogger presents, very little of the excuses I make hold up to being anything other than trying to come up with a reason to not do the things that I'd really rather be doing because they are too much work.  It doesn't matter one bit that I feel much better once I've actually done any of them.

I think that this may be a new attitude that I'll have to try on for a while and see how it fits.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
Re: Interesting thought on practicing
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 05:29:19 PM »

I think that philosophy applies to a lot of areas of life.  I have been applying it to my physical fitness program since the first of the year and have found it to be quite helpful. Sometimes, I really don't feel like working out but I put on my workout clothes and drag myself down to the gym anyway.  Even though it is hard to get started, most of the time I am really glad I did so when I am finished.  I think Nike was onto something with "Just Do It!".  I don't see why that can't apply to spirituality. 
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »

I've done it before and it works primarily because after a few weeks of just doing it you find that you have gotten in the habit and you no longer have to try as hard to motive yourself. I did this when I was depressed once after a break up and didn't feel like getting out and exercising, but I forced myself to go to the gym every day anyway. After a few weeks, I was in better physical shape than I had been in some time and it's difficult to remain depressed when you feel that good. I also did apply it frequently during my year and a day of esbat ritual practice when there were nights where I just didn't feel like I had the energy to get out my tools.

Re. photography, it brought to mind this book I was given of Jim Brandenburg's photography. He challenged himself to take one picture a day for a month (or more, can't remember now) and have each picture good enough to publish in his book. He did it. Each picture was amazing! One can accomplish incredible things when by simple application of will.

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

bluefire

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 08:46:47 PM »

You are all so right.  Can you follow me around and remind me?   :whistle:
“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 11:09:12 PM »

:rotflmao:  I think we may end up following each other around in a circle.  Wait, that could be a good thing.  :crazylaugh:
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:52:47 AM »

:rotflmao:
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 06:37:02 PM »

:rotflmao:  I think we may end up following each other around in a circle.  Wait, that could be a good thing.  :crazylaugh:
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

bluefire

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 09:28:10 PM »

“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

Starfish

• Spiritual Path: Tree hugging dirt worshipper....
  • A simple fish.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 06:30:54 PM »

This is actually really good advice and very much where I have found myself. I was "too busy" to practice or "too tired" or "didn't have the motivation." Now that I am pushing myself back into it this is great. Just get up and do it!  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 26 queries.