Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sesame Street  (Read 10367 times)

Mongo

• Dungeon Master of Irish Diplomacy
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
    • Mongo's Musings
Sesame Street
« on: November 05, 2009, 10:56:11 PM »

There are no words that I can describe how I feel about this.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/04/sesame.street.anniversary/index.html

Well there are, but I can't use them here.
“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
Re: Sesame Street
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 01:34:09 AM »

Hmmm...I'm really not sure how I feel about it.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Wolfsrain

• Journeyman
  • Mood: :hanging:
  • Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 02:59:01 AM »

See this makes me just as annoyed as I was in class when I learned that Neil Postman despised Sesame Street.

Today, Cookie Monster's diet is much more balanced, as he has adopted the philosophy that cookies are a "sometimes food." Cookie coincidentally changed his tune in 2006 amidst reports that childhood obesity had reached epidemic proportions.

THIS makes me incredibly angry. Okay, children learn and mimic and take after what they see. So do parrots. Not saying a child is like a parrot, but if I fed my freakin' parrot McDonald's every day, well my parrot would be dead, but my point is I'm TIRED of parents in this country blaming everything and anything for their faults. Tell your child NO. I watched Sesame Street as a kid. Cookie Monster ATE EVERYTHING. Lo and behold I never tried to consume a telephone and when my mother told me no more cookies I may have whined, but did that get me a whole package of cookies to sit with on my lap? No. Sesame Street may have not been as "clean cut" as it appears now, and SURE those two hippie sounding guys who discovered a plant needed water sounded like they were not quite with it, but at least it had some kind of substance. I'm sorry man, but I watched Sesame Street and the Little Mermaid until the VHS turned white and I read, I wanted to learn things, I didn't gnaw away on mcgriddle wrappers or tea cups, and I never climbed inside a trash can in search of my green buddy. Now what they SHOULD do is end these sanity forsaken shows like Yo Gabba Gabba, marketing geniuses! Hey let's make a show about nonsense, call it educational and name it relatively after what it sounds like a baby says! That way when their toddler garbles with their fist in their mouth, the parent will purchase all the videos, toys and other nonsense! I want those (breathes to change choice of words) moron's bank account number. Children's television has gone (again choosing...) completely down the tubes. Promoting imagination, my elbow...

Okay. I'm relatively finished. There's more inside of me. But I'll be here all night.
"I am certain of nothing, but the Holiness of the Heart's affections and the Truth of the Imagination." -John Keats

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 08:19:19 AM »

Wolfie.... I LOVE YOU!
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

bluefire

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 08:35:17 AM »

Yes, great response, Wolfie.

What a bunch of foolishness. 
“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 08:44:22 AM »

Hell I remember when people SMOKED on Sesame Street!  Yet...I didn't run right out and buy a pack of cigs!

My child is Obese, but I do NOT let him sit with bags of cookies or candy.  He gets told NO MORE FOOD. As hard as it is to see him angry and complain he's still hungry I have to cut him off.  And I to am tired of parents blaming others for faults of their own.  Could I have done something earlier to prevent Nathan's obesity...maybe or maybe not.  But its OUR job to educate OUR children.  Not Sesame Streets job, Not what ever is the popular show at the time. 

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 09:24:25 AM »

Wolfie.... I LOVE YOU!

Ditto!  I'm sick of these sanitized shows that they are always making for kids.  There are a few out there, but not very many.  I used to adore SS and spent hours watching it when my brother actually let me have the TV.  It is no wonder there are so many kids out there that don't know one lick about taking responsibility for their actions.  Sheesh.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 10:33:21 AM »

Apparently humor isn't PC anymore. Cookie Monster is supposed to be funny. You would think that is self-evident.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 08:52:21 PM »

Apparently humor isn't PC anymore. Cookie Monster is supposed to be funny. You would think that is self-evident.

It was to me.  Oh, and any humor at all isn't PC.  Isn't it about time we leash and muzzle the PC police?  :brickwall:
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 10:24:37 PM »

I think the Cookie Monster was the best character on the show. He had a absolute passion for what he was interested in.
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

Loki

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan / Chovihani
  • È bravi'os tampet'òr?
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 07:47:42 AM »

Family guy reference:

Seems that the Cookie Monsters time in rehab has been a great success!!

I agree with bluefire and crystal!  :brickwall:
Abiav è bruzam es alaca zor’enka!

Mongo

• Dungeon Master of Irish Diplomacy
  • Global Moderator
    • Mongo's Musings
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 11:00:03 AM »

It was to me.  Oh, and any humor at all isn't PC.  Isn't it about time we leash and muzzle the PC police?  :brickwall:

Leash and muzzle? Heck! I'm thinking .444 Marlin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.444_Marlin)

M
“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 01:28:51 PM »

That works too. :rotflmao:
Albert Einstein

Wolfsrain

• Journeyman
  • Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 02:57:02 AM »

No joke. I will be getting Sesame Street on DVD. For myself. And if I ever have a kid, that's what they're watching. Sesame Street, how I knew it.  :brickwall:
"I am certain of nothing, but the Holiness of the Heart's affections and the Truth of the Imagination." -John Keats

bluefire

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 10:46:27 AM »

This Sesame Street foolishishness continues to thump around in my head.  That kind of misguided thinking truly drives me crazy.  So I shall rant to you all a bit and try to put this to rest for myself.

How can any reasonable person think that they can protect/guide/educate children by super sanitizing the vision of the world they see on TV?  Knock, knock, the world is a messy place.  No amount of Sesame Street editing is going to make the world better.  More importantly, that editing is not going to help children better cope with the challenges they need to face.

Children need love, care, guidance, stimulation, and yes -- fun!  They do not need anyone to paint a perfect world picture for them.  The world is not perfect.  And if it were?  If would only be perfect to some people and not to others, because different people see perfect differently.  What's wrong with parents guiding choices?

I clearly remember telling my daughter, "You are acting like Cookie Monster" when she went after the Christmas cookies we were baking one year.  She was probably three at the time.  We laughed.  It was funny.  The image of Cookie Monster doing what he loves to do is FUNNY.  You take what you've got as a parent and you use it to talk and share and guide.  And you have FUN with your kids.

Instead of focusing on the very innocent end of the entertainment spectrum, let the PC police move over to the other end, the truly messy world of "reality" TV.  What if we let imagination and fantasy be just that and look instead at what we pawn off as reality?  It looks like Jon and Kate is blessedly dying.  There's a start.  There are other shows more worthy of PC campaigns than Sesame Street.
“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 10:56:55 AM »

Knock, knock, the world is a messy place.  No amount of Sesame Street editing is going to make the world better.  More importantly, that editing is not going to help children better cope with the challenges they need to face.

Not letting kids see reality in all it's messiness is the main reason that most of today's youngsters are so self-centered and petulant.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 02:36:22 PM »

:bow:  I am so with both of you.  Today's young people have no clue what reality is.  I can't tell you how many new college grads we hire that can't write anything coherent, yet expect to be paid what those of us who've been working for 20 or 30 years (or more) are getting.  :brickwall:  And they all expect everyone to cater to any whim they have as if they are "special".  Even my daughter, who is the same age as a lot of these prima-donnas just shakes her head.  What ever happened to parents doing their job as parents?  I tell, ya, we are doomed if this continues. :gaah:
Albert Einstein

Wolfsrain

• Journeyman
  • Wanderer
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 07:16:35 AM »

:cheer: BF!!

I agree... Unfortunately I take a look at parents like my aunt, and while she's a special case  :whistle: there are many who do this. They barely see what the kid is watching half the time, because the channel is put on and the kids are plopped down until it becomes routine and second nature to turn to that stupid kid's show.

I wish they would get rid of "reality" TV... it makes my head hurt just flipping through the channels. The saddest part is, it's becoming a big part of our reality that people are famous for the worst reasons. Kim Kardashian...why is she famous? AJ and I were discussing the fact that she has the best body in Hollywood. I won't disagree with anyone who says it. She has a fantastic shape. The part that gets me is, "in Hollywood." Does she really have that status where people can say she's a part of Hollywood? I thought that came from having some sort of talent, not a nice butt. From what I can see, she's famous because general consensus is, she's hot. That makes me sad because talent is now watching somebody blow dry their hair and storm around in heels and get pregnant before they should. I think it's sad that people even know her name.

Nobody ever believes me when I say I really don't watch TV, and that's because I don't know who "famous" people are half the time when conversations ensue. I watch Family Guy, the History Channel, and the Sci-Fi channel (or as it likes to call itself nowadays: the Scy-Fy channel.  :rolleye: ) It's just poor programming.
Neil Postman thought television was making us dumber back then...he hated Sesame Street...I wonder what the poor man would do if he could see us now...

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 04:53:04 PM »

You guys took the words out of my mouth! 

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 24 queries.