Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Candles  (Read 9432 times)

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Unitarian Universalist Pagan Witch
Candles
« on: November 21, 2011, 10:33:32 PM »

I'm sure this question could go in a better forum but my roots are showing and right now I can't figure out where. And what the hey, I'm a beginner!

So, a different colored candle is used in many different ways and means many different things. I remember learning that in my first dive into Paganism when I was a teen. I was just wondering, though, as a cost saving measure, if I could use a white votive or tea candle and put them in different colored tea/votive candle holders (like these: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Glass-Votive-Candle-Holders/dp/B004GWL7DW in each different color) and have the effects be the same?

Mongo

• Dungeon Master of Irish Diplomacy
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
    • Mongo's Musings
Re: Candles
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 11:08:26 PM »

The tools of the casting are an aid to focus. By training yourself that a green candle does "X" and a red candle does "Y", you are training your focus to be on task "X" when you light a green candle and on task "Y" when you light a red one.

You could just as easily do "X" and "Y" without the candles, but it is a focus for you.

So yes, you can dedicate some cheap candle holders to specific tasks and then buy them once and as you say use the cheap, plain white tea candles. You would get much the same effect.

To further supplement, you can also take multiple sets of them and decorate them in a fashion that illustrates the purpose. For example blue is for healing, truth, inspiration, higher wisdom, occult power and psychic protection, understanding, good health and the feminine principle in Nature.

So you could have one blue one marked with a rune, Tolkien's Elvish Script, Theban, or whatever to be the one you use for healing and have another blue marked for inspiration.

Also you can get some herbs or herbal oil extracts that are complimentary to the task at hand and anoint the holders to further enhance what you are doing.

Remember that the tools and trappings, while are nice and can really help you feel your connection, are not as important as the ritual and your mindset is. So go ahead and go witchy on a budget. The Powers that Be aren't going to pull a Simon Cowell on you and rip in to you for not having the right shade of blue on the table.
“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 12:15:55 AM »

What Mongo said.

I just want to add ONE word of caution when working with candles...make that two.  KEEP YOU HAIR BACK! My sister is known for burning hers during rituals, and not because she wants to. Also, make sure the cats aren't too nosy.  Cleaning wax off the carpet after Shadowcat has knocked the candle over, batting at the flame, is NEVER fun.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

Wookie8662

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic solitary
  • Walking Carpet
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 12:42:04 AM »

When I first started out casting a circle, I used tea-lights in colored glass holders for my quarter candles.
I don't use them any more for quarters, but I cant bring myself to get rid of them.
I now use them with tea-lights for general illumination during rituals and meditation.
“One of the deep secrets of life is that all that is really worth the doing is what we do for others.” - Lewis Carroll

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 03:29:51 PM »

You can absolutely use those.  You can also tie a colored string or thread around your candles for the same end result.  It all just really comes down to preference and what works best for you.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 04:00:05 PM »

Just like the others said, Its the intent behind the reason you are using the candle (or whatever else you happen to be using)

And If it using a white candle in a colored holder works for you, then do it!

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 26 queries.