Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yay for questions.  (Read 13483 times)

AncientWriter

• Spiritual Path: Nordic Influenced Paganism
Yay for questions.
« on: January 19, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »

I was approached by a friend to help along their divorce procedure with some magical influence. My main question is: Is there anything ethically wrong with this? I don't plan on doing anything negative, like asking her to burst into flames or anything (a different friend's suggestion...). I was probably just going to increase overall good luck and help open the pathways of communication so the process could be done with as few horn clashings, and arguments as possible. I'm really big on the "Don't mess with free will" part, so while I know he asked, she didn't. Would I be interfering with her if I did help?

My second question (and if this violates the "No asking for spells bit" ignore it.): How in the world would I go about this? I'm not asking for a step by step instruction, but more of a general guideline. Would good luck, and open communication be good, or are there better ways?

Thanks!
-Renee
I don't do nature! It's so...unnatural.- My sister

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
Re: Yay for questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:59:56 AM »

I tend to go with framing it as "asking for the best possible outcome" or "help bring the best possible outcome to fruition", aand try not to influence "What I want that outcome to be".
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

Rovay

• ***Suspended Account***
  • Spiritual Path: Dualism, Shamanism
  • Rusted from the rain
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 11:20:33 AM »

Mmm, yes, does sound a little manipulative, then again... You just want a peaceful resolution, I get that. Can't really figure if it is something my deities would support or not.

How to approach this... Hmmm. Something springs to mind here; consecrate an item. Find a mineral with peaceful energy, and enchant it with something else with similar meaning, then make your friend carry the item in her/his bag during the hearing.
Eer aan die gode en hul oordeel.
I am the type of person who could tear you into pieces just to be the one to sew you back together.
Those that are best with the blades rarely let them leave the sheaths.

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 12:25:06 PM »

I tend to go with framing it as "asking for the best possible outcome" or "help bring the best possible outcome to fruition", and try not to influence "What I want that outcome to be".

:yeahthat:

Adding energy to the process to ensure the best outcome for all parties would be fine ... anything else, especially asking for anything specific as far as the outcome, crosses the line IMO.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

Zlat

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 01:01:31 PM »

Agreed on the peaceful energy/communications charm.

On another front, you may consider bolstering your friends esteem and spirit during this time as it can be particularly trying and he/she will need that extra support to maintain functioning and positive throughout it. :)

I'm a big fan of stones when it comes to these things. Stones, prayer candles, and taking your friend for a night out on occasion to forget about it all.  :D

AncientWriter

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 04:52:53 PM »

So I've done some research and I've come up with some good basics for open communication, and balance/peace. What I want to do is create my own candle to burn for the duration of the hearing. I want to use the colors Black (ward negativity), Light Blue (communication), Orange (clear minds), and White (peace/balance), but I want to hand dip the candle alternating between the four colors so they all kind of meld together. Would this confuse the energies too much? Am I better off going with four different candles of each color?

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 04:54:48 PM »

So I've done some research and I've come up with some good basics for open communication, and balance/peace. What I want to do is create my own candle to burn for the duration of the hearing. I want to use the colors Black (ward negativity), Light Blue (communication), Orange (clear minds), and White (peace/balance), but I want to hand dip the candle alternating between the four colors so they all kind of meld together. Would this confuse the energies too much? Am I better off going with four different candles of each color?

Use one white candle, and instead of worrying about colors, inscribe it with symbols.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

AncientWriter

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 04:58:44 PM »

Are there particular symbols you had in mind?

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 05:43:40 PM »

Herbs and crystals can also help you in this endeavor.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

skullabyes

• Spiritual Path: Wiccan
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 07:13:26 PM »

Frist of all, let me say that I honor your intention to help out this friend. We all know how difficult these kinds of things can be. I have a few thoughts on this and just wanted to share them. I am an old (but still very hot) witch, and have been doing this for quite a few moons. I have learned (and learned and learned) many things the hard way.
My "advice" (if you will) is to be very careful. "Spelling" for another person is often times what we are guided to do. However, it has been my experience that these times should be on very rare and special occasions (which this may very well be- only you will know!). The problem is that we must learn to pick and choose how we expend our energies on behalf of others. It not, we will be burning multiple candles, every hour, of every day... forever.
Most of the time, if I am guided to help someone, I try to empower THEM to do the actual "spell". This may mean anything from providing a dressed candle and a written invocation to suggesting a book on meditation.
(You can alway do a little somethin-somethin, privately, on the side, if you feel you need to)
But, when we give the power to them, we, well,... actually give the power to them.
And that truly is the greatest gift we can give to another.
Remember this:
    To the untrained person,
    If you do a spell and it works, it's your victory. If you do a spell and it doesn't work, it's your fault!
I know, little one, you will do what is right for you. Blessings in your endeavor.  )0( 

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 08:50:24 PM »

You are quite right. We help others within reason.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 10:51:07 PM »

Are there particular symbols you had in mind?
THAT you need to learn for yourself. Symbols that would stand for those things for me might not hold the same meaning for you... or anyone else here.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

AncientWriter

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 12:06:12 AM »

He's the only one if my life who would ask me for help through this medium. And I do want to help. It's been rough on him.

I was expecting to find my own symbols. I didn't know if you were suggesting runes or some "universal" set of symbols.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:14:49 AM by AncientWriter »

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 12:30:36 AM »

He's the only one if my life who would ask me for help through this medium. And I do want to help. It's been rough on him.

I was expecting to find my own symbols. I didn't know if you were suggesting runes or some "universal" set of symbols.

Are you familiar with sigil magic? I think creating a unique sigil  incribed on the candle would be very powerful in this case. If you look up the work of Austin Spare or sigils in chaos magic you will find what you need.
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

Rovay

• ***Suspended Account***
  • Spiritual Path: Dualism, Shamanism
  • Rusted from the rain
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 01:15:01 AM »

Are you familiar with sigil magic? I think creating a unique sigil  incribed on the candle would be very powerful in this case. If you look up the work of Austin Spare or sigils in chaos magic you will find what you need.

QFT. It is good to go with the candle idea, you came up with it yourself, so it is probably what your guts are telling you to do. And usually the guts do give the best decision.
Eer aan die gode en hul oordeel.
I am the type of person who could tear you into pieces just to be the one to sew you back together.
Those that are best with the blades rarely let them leave the sheaths.

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 01:13:39 PM »

Sorry about that. I don't work with runes, so I tend not to even think about them. Symbols of the best sort come from your own view of things; something that can help YOU focus on what you want to accomplish.

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 09:08:44 AM »

The other option, instead of using symbols if you aren't comfortable with their use, is to either include herbs into your wax (though I would use caution in this as they tend to burn hotter and cause your container to break and some absolutely should not be burned at all), place your candle holder in a bowl of those same potential herbs and/or surround your candle in the appropriate stones (check the guide for more info on which ones) while the candle is lit.  It may be that the best option with all of this is to provide the candle and the set up to your friend and have your friend use their energy/intent while the candle is burning.  Just my opinion, but I would think it would be much more effective that way.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

Zlat

• Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 02:03:29 PM »

I've never thought about using herbs in a candle before. Usually I just use the fire pit.. Interesting concept though.

Do let us know how things turn out for your friend. :)

AncientWriter

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 10:37:33 AM »

Do let us know how things turn out for your friend. :)

Will do. ^_^
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 26 queries.