Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Empath- how to determine  (Read 12419 times)

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
Empath- how to determine
« on: December 14, 2015, 02:05:17 PM »

We've discussed being an empath a lot in the past and I've always been on the fence about whether I have empathic tendencies or not. Lately I have been going through some weird random mood changes. I am thinking it is probably just the change of life but how can I tell?

My oldest daughter is going through some stuff with various boys and I will notice feelings coming in and out of the blue, which could just be me overempathizing like I have a tendency to do but some times it just seems unrelated to any thought I am having. Plus one of the boys lives across the street. The feelings seem very teenagery to me when I have them but I don't seem to get them when I am actually thinking about my daughter and the boys or when discussing it either with her or with my husband. It all seems to occur from out of nowhere and it feels very unlike me-- like my logical side is there just as always thinking but I am having these emotions out of synch with my thoughts.  I have had the suspicion that I am picking up on some of the boys' emotions and not so much my daughter who seems less affected though she is not super emotionally available anyway. But when she is obviously ecstatic or grumpy I don't notice anything-- it's hours later and for no apparent reason. Thoughts? Am I just going bonkers with mid-life hormonal changes?
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

DragonsFriend

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Arratu, evolved from the Sumerian myths & practice
Re: Empath- how to determine
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 02:41:50 PM »

The effects of menopause could be what you are getting but it sounds to me like the only way to be sure is to try shielding yourself from outside emotions. Although it can be difficult, especially in a relationship you can filter out extraneous emotions without losing those of your partner. If you shield and the emotions are not present then you have your answer. If the emotions still pop up you also have your answer.
It might be worth doing for your own piece of mind.
A mature witch's life should reflect the balance of the universe

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 03:24:49 PM »

Thanks, DF. Unfortunately I have been really poor at shielding so I don't know if I would still be sure if I tried it. It would take some time I suppose to learn to shield effectively. Lately I have felt a lot more grounded overall and able to cope with changes in emotions in the family -- at least until this recent stuff came up.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

DragonsFriend

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Arratu, evolved from the Sumerian myths & practice
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 01:47:44 PM »

I would suggest directed meditative visualization to bring a shield into play if you can do that.
I find it difficult to teach shielding effectively without being present with the individuals. I have tried teaching many classes over the internet but energy work is rarely successfully learned. Having said that, I could share a filter shield for you to attempt but the results will be more a matter of your training than anything else.
A mature witch's life should reflect the balance of the universe

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 02:19:12 PM »

EM, I have some thoughts on this but am not able to get to my computer until later this evening ... I'll write something more when I can but for now wanted to mention that hormone fluctuations will affect your energetic sensitivity though there are likely other factors in play.  ;)
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 05:38:03 AM »

Sorry I couldn't get back to this sooner ... things got a little crazy here.  :whistle:

OK, here's what I know for sure:

• EM, you are at the least very sensitive to energies and I believe that you are empathic but can't say for certain to what degree.
  • The random nature of these feelings as you've described are exactly the way empaths experience the feelings of others ... the trick is figuring out who's feelings they are if it isn't obvious.
  • Unless you're close to someone emotionally (like a good friend, your child, or your spouse) in general you won't get anything from another person if they aren't near by.
  • There are a number of things that can affect how well (or even if) we sense energy or the emotions from others.  Fluctuating hormones are high up on that list.
  • There are a number of things that can interfere with whether or not we sense these energies and if we're busy and focused or distracted we generally won't notice.

I've also found that it's more difficult to shield adequately when the hormones are whacked out so your efforts to control or resolve things might be hampered in this regard.

Bottom line?  No, you're not bonkers and I doubt you are imagining things but the hormones are likely hampering things and could be the cause or not.  I know that when I have these sorts of issues taking supplements with plant estrogens helps to smooth things out ...  something to consider.  ;)
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 08:48:58 AM »

Thanks, CD. What you said makes me feel better about myself. I did always wonder why I get very anxious in hospitals and malls and why funerals of people that I don't even know will make me an emotional mess-- it's really embarrassing. I don't know how many times I have been told I am overly sensitive. How do you not feel like an alien when you are like this? Fortunately, things have settled a bit since it has been a few days since the one boy and my daughter have stopped talking. I will definitely check into the herbs.  ()
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 27 queries.