Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Landlords?  (Read 8424 times)

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
Landlords?
« on: October 15, 2009, 11:23:03 AM »

Does anyone here own property that they rent to tenants and would be willing to answer some questions about being a landlord? I was reading something today about foreclosure auctions and the insanely low prices, so I'm wondering if an investment property would be a smart move...
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

VenusInFurs

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: eclectic pagan
Re: Landlords?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 01:56:02 PM »

I own property but I live in myself.

However, from renting for ages, I can give the following advice:
-Be very selective with who is going to live there.  you can make them fill out application forms with credit information and check each potential tenent out.  Also get a feel for them personally by meeting them.
-Make sure you take whatever the maximum possible damage deposit is in your state.  Also, be very clear in your rental contract.
-Don't allow smoking, even if you're 'pro-choice' when it comes to smoking.  I had to wash the walls in an apartment once when I moved in and the previous tenants were smokers and it was AWFUL.  After three washes the water was still black.
-Make sure you're familiar with rental laws and tenant rights in your state.
-Splurge on quality when it comes to fixtures and appliances.  Stuff in rental gets a bit more wear and tear than normal when people move in and out and spending a bit more now can save you a lot later.  Also, if you're going to allow pets you might want to not have carpet.  actually it's probably best to not have carpet anyway.  It looks ugly after about 10 years, even if you have really expensive carpet and if you have some sort of wood flooring or high quality laminate you can usually jack up the rent ;)

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 04:36:26 PM »

I wouldn't do it.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 04:53:21 PM »

Why not, GW?
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 10:20:49 PM »

That's just my personal preference. First, you have to deal with renters, as well as upkeep on another property, more property taxes, etc. It may be okay for you if you're into that sort of thing, though. Just seems to have too many negatives for my taste.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 12:42:05 AM »

We don't own any rental property, but we rented for a lot of years.  I was friends with one of the property managers we were renting from, and after seeing what the "average renter" does to a place, there's no way I would ever consider being a landlord.

We were a landlord's dream ... stayed long term (usually at least 2 years) and left the place in as good as, or better than, the condition it was in when we took up residence.  But your "average renter"?  Because the property isn't theirs, they couldn't care less about keeping it up ... hey, it's somebody elses problem, right?  My friend showed me one unit after a couple of girls moved out.  Holes in doors, broken mirrors, torn carpeting, gouged linoleum, trash all over the place ... it was really bad.  If I remember correctly, it cost the owner about $3000 to fix all the damage and clean it up.

The last house we rented was trashed ... the owner lived out of state and had a "friend" living there prior to us who was supposed to fix a few things.  Not only did he NOT fix anything, he pretty much messed everything else up.  The owner couldn't afford to fix it up (why he even owned rental property without the ability to keep it up is beyond me) and we decided to take it anyway because my friend (the property manager ... she had just signed up to take this property too) negotiated a killer deal for us on the rent.  So we worked a deal with the owner ... we'd pick one project a month and fixed the place up for him, taking the cost of the materials off the rent.

Bottom line ... there is no way you can be picky enough about your renters.  You may get lucky an find a pearl amongst the swine, but you can get bit bad even if a renter seems like a peach.  If you can't afford to drop up to $5000 to fix a place up after a renter leaves, you're not likely to be able to rent it until it's fixed and you'll still have to make mortgage payments without benefit of collecting rent.  FWIW
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:45:50 AM by Crystal Dragon »
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

VenusInFurs

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 02:33:25 AM »

My old city had a really, really low vacancy rate (0.5%) so basically you could be REALLY picky about who you rented to.  I think if you can find somewhere in a town or city like that, it's your best bet. 

In Germany tenants have most of the rights, but as a landlord you are allowed to charge 3x the rent as a damage deposit.  In BC Canada it's only allowed to be half a months rent though, which wont really cover any damage so you have to be really selective over who you rent to.

Also, CD has a point that you have to be able to cover general maintenence as well.  That can't be really taken off a damage deposit because wear and tear happens and it's not anyones fault.  That's why I'd suggest opting for better quality fixtures....they last longer than cheapies.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:38:54 AM by VenusInFurs »

Loki

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan / Chovihani
  • È bravi'os tampet'òr?
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 07:37:43 AM »

Well we rent property here and I would echo some of the statements:

Be very selective over who you rent to - it just takes one questionable personality to cause alot of damage

No smoking in the house is a good plan it does cause alot of damage

And make sure you cover yourself by knowing the laws and regulations!
Abiav è bruzam es alaca zor’enka!

bluefire

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »

Be sure to research landlord laws in your state and city.  "Be picky with who you rent to" sounds good, but it's only good if your reason for not choosing someone is within the law.  If someone has bad credit, you're covered.  If someone is a rude slob, it may be difficult to deny their request to rent an available property.

Also, have plenty of money readily available.  If something breaks, you are bound to repair it in a timely manner. 
“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

VenusInFurs

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 11:06:23 AM »

Yeah where I'm from and the neighbourhood I live in now, you still can because you'll likely have a large number of applicants to choose from.  It's best to choose a place/neighbourhood that's popular and will attract a larger number of potential tenants.  It will be more expensive, but on the flip side you can also charge more for rent.  Also if you can rent it for more, you'll get a larger damage deposit and the cost of repairs is the same around the board, so if there is damage caused by the tenant it will be easier to pay for.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 26 queries.