Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people."  (Read 11012 times)

FollowtheFox

• Mood: Is off the wall.
  • Spiritual Path: Wherever the fern grows and the Moon shines.
"I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people."
« on: August 18, 2014, 04:58:35 PM »

I used to love going out to places like the mall, or thrift stores in towns, looking for neat little trinkets and whatnot, or just roaming about. Now though, I go around people, these crowds...I go in to find what I may (and sometimes still, may not) be looking for and then find myself suddenly agitated, annoyed, and sometimes even shake inside (on rare occasions outside) because I just can't stand the hustle, the bustle, the dozens of rude people. Perhaps its from moving back to my current location and not having had people to be social with, whereas before I had people I could easily talk with better. Or maybe I'm just becoming more aware of the stuff in the world. Whatever it may be, it sucks.
Has anyone else gone through a similar transmission, or "suffers" from this?
"A goof with a savage mind."

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: through the spiritual garden
    • CUUmbaya
Re: "I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people."
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 08:15:59 PM »

I've gone through periods of feeling like that, and it usually turned out I had more stress than I thought... it wasn't the people or crowds, really, it was- in the words of Hank Hill- stress on a structure that wasn't up to code in the first place.

peace,
ES
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 08:56:24 PM »

I like my solitude so malls and crowds are quite stressful. I've become less resilient to it in my {cough cough} maturity.  :whistle:
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 10:06:30 PM »

My tolerance for crowds depends on my mood and what the people are crowded around to do.  I don't mind a lot of people at an amusement park  or concert nearly as much as I do a crowd of people at Walmart.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

FollowtheFox

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 10:27:16 PM »

I've been getting worse with this for the past 4 years. So its not just an on and off thing with me. I can't even stand concert crowds anymore, at least in this state they are rude. I know some of it is due to stress, but I don't know, I'm just very uncomfortable with most people anymore.

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 11:30:37 PM »

I know for me, being naturally introverted, if I am not in a position where I have to be outgoing and interact with folks every day, then I easily get more used to not interacting and not dealing with noise and other people. Then it becomes more and more difficult and uncomfortable when I do have to interact. Yeah, concert crowds and bars are like hell for me-- last place I would want to be.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

FollowtheFox

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 11:44:40 PM »

That's probably a huge part of what has happened to me. I just haven't been able to find people that like to converse in person. Its all "texting" and flaky people.

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 08:53:03 AM »

My way around that it joining groups where the purpose is an interest of mine like yoga, gardening, hiking, etc. I tend to find more down to earth people in the those circles.

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 02:24:34 PM »

I've found that a lot of the rude and obnoxious behavior many exhibit is their reaction to the harsh energies that have been floating around the last couple of years.  They aren't aware enough to realize they're reacting when they should be dealing with it by spending time away from technology (which is making things worse IMO) and working on soothing their own energies.

I've also found that extending a bit of gentle compassion (as opposed to getting ticked at them) gets through to a good number of them.  The worst of them annoy me though ... those I keep at bay through shielding and projecting specific energies.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

FollowtheFox

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 02:45:11 PM »

I can never find groups around here. So I've tried to start some, but there's never any interest in such things. I was even part of a book club for a while, but it just fell apart, due to poor communication among other things. I remember joining groups a long time ago, where people pretty much just thought I was weird, and I felt uncomfortable with their stares and all that. I've learned to keep quiet because of that when I meet people first, but folks tell me I'm too outspoken and harsh with my words. I just am me, and I guess I am tired of hiding that, which has made me feel worse lately.

Well, that's probably where all my frustrations come from. I'm just not as perky as I used to be. Living here has done me no good. And of course other factors like being surrounded by certain energies, like mentioned, and living with them everyday isn't doing me any good either.

Ah well, that is part of life, I suppose.

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 05:09:45 PM »

I don't like being around large groups of people. Particularly if they have been drinking. I can handle it for a bit, then I'm looking at the door.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 01:08:03 AM »

I like crowds on occasion but I like them in positive happy settings, a parade, a festival, a ball game, somewhere with the laughter of children and young couples staring at each other with love. In general people can be difficult and I avoid crowds.
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

rainshadow

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 08:26:33 AM »

I'm an empath. I used to love concerts, etc., but I had a really bad situation at work (I work in law enforcement) where I almost got killed breaking up a fight by myself… it quickly turned from a few combatants to over 30 in a short amount of time and after that, I despise going to large group anything. Even going to the grocery store freaks me out, so I try to go during non-peak hours. Thankfully I'm on midnight shift now, so the "energies" are a lot calmer, and on my days off, I can do whatever I want at three in the morning running around Walmart. Lol. In terms of shopping that is, I don't get as freaked out as easily.
I cannot wait for a saviour, my angel is long gone
-Lacuna Coil
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

ThornUnderleaf

• Location: Right on the border of Nowhere's east side and west side
  • Mood: hobbity
  • Spiritual Path: undecided, studying druidry and wicca
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 02:59:45 PM »

Being an introvert myself, I've never really liked crowds to begin with. I could always sort of deal with it if the energy was positive, but for the most part I wouldn't have any of it. Just a few years ago a crowded restaurant could send me into a panic attack, so I definitely know the feeling. Turns out I've had depression and anxiety since probably my late Freshman year of high school... I haven't really had the problem with crowds to such an extent since I got put on medication for it, so that's probably what my deal was. A lot of things can cause social anxiety though, so if it gets too overwhelming it might be a good idea to look into it medically.
Peace be the journey, friends.

FollowtheFox

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 01:07:48 AM »

My problem with crowds became worse when I went on a trip down to Florida in Orlando. I was jostled around and pushed aside in the thick-ass crowds of tourism central. Needless to say being around large masses of people makes me very insecure now. I used to be okay with concert crowds, but the last one I went to wasn't very enjoyable either.

I know I suffered from depression in my teenage years, but it seems most teenagers do. I had eating habits and became overweight that way, still do it. But being diabetic I really need to watch that now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 27 queries.