Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Standing your ground  (Read 7821 times)

Quotensilence

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
Standing your ground
« on: June 02, 2010, 09:35:42 PM »

So I had a huge argument with my mom and her boyfriend about the pagan religion. We got started on the subject with the oil spills in the Gulf and it came down to the earth and religion and whatnot. I felt slightly bashed and helpless trying to defend my beliefs to them. I knew the facts, I knew what I believed and even they (lukewarm followers to the Christian faith) shook me to my lowest of lows. How can I be stronger in my faith and stand my ground? How can I be a fire when all I have are embers?
You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. Someday I hope you'll join us, and the world will live as one.

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
Re: Standing your ground
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 09:47:05 PM »

My personal opinion has long been that I don't have to defend my faith or my beliefs to anyone. They're MY beliefs. I'm not trying to convert anyone or prove that I'm 'right', and I don't need anyone else's validation, permission, or approval to believe the way I do. My beliefs are right for me - they don't have to be right for anyone else.

It can take a while to get to that mindset - there seems to be a deep desire to be accepted (or at least "feel like you're understood"). But ultimately the best "argument" for your beliefs is the in the way you live your life - actions speak louder than words in the long run...
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 10:30:08 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly with Tirya, and that is why I don't discuss my spiritual beliefs with anyone. It's none of their damn business. Should you find yourself in that place again, just say something like "You have your beliefs and I have mine. We obviously don't agree on this issue, but I stand behind my beliefs" and be matter of fact and confident. Just because you can't bring them round to your point of view does not lessen its validity.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 05:50:37 PM »

I only talk about my beliefs if someone asks me a question.  Otherwise, I keep them to myself.  I am perfectly capable of arguing my beliefs with people holding the most fundamentalist views but it really doesn't do either party any good.  Knowing that, I try to avoid religious conversations with people who are not inclined to be able to have respectful discussions (such as my sister). 
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

VenusInFurs

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: eclectic pagan
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 01:00:19 AM »

Most of my friends are atheist and it's also lead to some confrontations.  A lot (not all!) atheists think that they've seen past so-called delusions and that they're absolutely right and any beliefs at all are not logical.  I just do what the others have said and don't discuss my religion.  If I really have to or am excited about something, I save it for someone that is a bit more open to it (in my case its my mom.  For you it could be a friend?) 

Quotensilence

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 08:14:45 AM »

Thanks everyone. You guys are so great!
You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. Someday I hope you'll join us, and the world will live as one.

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 09:18:03 AM »

There is a old story about a village where the well had become poisoned which caused all who drank it to go insane. One person in the village noticed that the well was making her neighbors mad and refused to drink it's water. After awhile the other villagers noticed that the sane person was acting differently and turned upon her attacking her. As they beat her they cried, " Why are you not like us?, " You must be mad."
 Sometimes it is being sane in a insane world that makes us the target of others frustrations. To believe that the earth is sacred and the divine dwells within all things, is nothing to ever hang your head down for believing in. When surrounded by a miraculous universe a person should believe in miracles.
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

bluefire

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 07:32:05 PM »

That is lovely, Vordan.   ()
“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

Quotensilence

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 05:34:12 AM »

I don't know why but Vordan....that actually made me cry!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 26 queries.