Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: specific Yule traditions?  (Read 11164 times)

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
specific Yule traditions?
« on: December 11, 2009, 10:02:12 AM »

I'm trying to add a couple traditions that have meaning to me above what is already pagan about the Christmas holiday.

Do any of you have specific things you do to celebrate Yule that you didn't already do for Christmas if you celebrate(d) Christmas?
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
Re: specific Yule traditions?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 10:12:32 AM »

We really don't.  The only thing we do is more for the kids than anything.  We let them go and pick out a small gift for each of their siblings and they get to open those gifts on Yule.

I know it sounds much like a Christmas celebration, but it really isn't.  We are trying to teach our kids about giving to others, to take the time to really think about what someone else wants or needs, and to remember how important their family is.  They also get to see the reaction to their hard work when their brother or sister opens their gift.

In a way, this is something of a carry over from when my husband worked for a company that collected toys to donate over the holidays.  We would always pick a child around our kids age and have them pick out a toy they would really like for themselves to give.  He no longer works there, so we don't have that outlet.

I would like to do more, but since it typically falls during the week, we just have the evening to get anything done.  I will usually try to plan a special meal to go along with that, but again, that just depends on the amount of time I have.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 04:29:03 PM »

We don't really do anything different except celebrate on a different day ... most of what we did for Christmas is inherently Pagan anyway. :whistle:
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

bluefire

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 07:43:24 PM »

In my family we celebrate the solstice, the longest night and return to light. 

We light candles all over the house, light the fireplace, and turn off all the electric lights.  We eat stew and bread and drink wine. 
“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

Fox

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 07:47:21 PM »

Blue, I want to come to your house!  :D
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

bluefire

• Journeyman
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 08:05:47 PM »

C'mon over!  This year it's a Monday night, but oh well....Tuesday will just be interesting at work. :whistle:  All the kids will be here.

I'm not sure you would love the food, Foxy.  Traditional Lithuanian food doesn't excite most folks.  This year I'm doing cabbage-potato soup with beef.  I'll post the recipe, just for fun.
“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: through the spiritual garden
    • CUUmbaya
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 08:08:43 PM »

I have grits with butter, sugar, and cinnamon. No, wait, that's a Y'all tradition, not Yule. Nevermind.

peace,
ES
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons

Fox

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 08:18:13 PM »

:laughfit:  ES!  You crack me up!

I'm not sure you would love the food, Foxy.  Traditional Lithuanian food doesn't excite most folks.  This year I'm doing cabbage-potato soup with beef.  I'll post the recipe, just for fun.

You are probably right.  I'm really not a fan of cabbage.  :whistle:

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 07:27:34 AM »

I love the idea of the candles BF!  I may use that one this year.  In the past, I have given my daughter one gift to open on Yule similar to what Fox explained and we usually have a special meal.  Like the any other Sabbat, I usually do a ritual of some sort.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

bluefire

• Journeyman
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 10:03:24 AM »

Like the any other Sabbat, I usually do a ritual of some sort.

There are lovely candle rituals for the solstice.  One we like with family is that each person holds a lit candle after the circle is created.  Each person then talks about one gift he or she has received from the Divine in the past season (since the summer solstice) and then talks about one gift he or she can give to the Divine for the next season (until the next summer solstice) and places the candle on the altar.  The circle is then released and we eat.  This can also be done as a solitary ritual.
Albert Einstein

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 10:15:10 AM »

In my family we celebrate the solstice, the longest night and return to light. 

We light candles all over the house, light the fireplace, and turn off all the electric lights.  We eat stew and bread and drink wine.

That sounds fun, Blue!
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 03:00:21 PM »

There are lovely candle rituals for the solstice.  One we like with family is that each person holds a lit candle after the circle is created.  Each person then talks about one gift he or she has received from the Divine in the past season (since the summer solstice) and then talks about one gift he or she can give to the Divine for the next season (until the next summer solstice) and places the candle on the altar.  The circle is then released and we eat.  This can also be done as a solitary ritual.

Oh, that sounds lovely.  I think I'll try it.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 26 queries.