Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What should I do for Samhain?  (Read 12655 times)

diniesaur

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Something to do with Set and possibly Bast
What should I do for Samhain?
« on: October 08, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »

I know it's coming up. I will definitely want to cook for my family. I would like to do a small ritual to celebrate it, but I don't know if that's possible. My brother is four years old, and though the way my mom raises him leans towards Christianity, I think she would be okay if I did some nature crafts with him or something like that. He will go trick-or-treating, and I usually hand out candy while he's out. What is the best way for me to show my reverence for the dead and celebrate Samhain?

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
Re: What should I do for Samhain?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 11:11:27 AM »

It can be as simple as an offering of food {We tend to leave an apple and some drink outside that night}, a candle lit in memory of those who have Passed, especially in the last year, or a full rite, which is probably not an option for you. Make carmel apples with your brother, take him on his rounds, decorate with seasonal stuff, and make a New Year's Resolution. Samhain is "The day of the dead when the year too dies" {Susan Cooper, 'The Dark is Rising' series) Keep the day fun and funky, and the night for introspection.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

diniesaur

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 02:55:19 PM »

That's a good idea. Some of my pets have died this year, so I will ask my mom if I can light a candle; she will probably let me since she likes candles. I might also give a food offering, too.

Zlat

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 07:46:55 PM »

For me, a lot of Samhain involves reflection and deciding what aspects of my life I would like to leave behind or transform, and those I would like to retain for the following year. It's also a time for me to let go of things that have been held onto for far too long, and making goals for the next 12 months.

After that is either a bonfire or candles (depending on my circumstances), and leaving a food offering for the spirits that have left us (not just my family and friends, but all spirits), and taking a moment to honor and pray for the safe passage of those that have gone on their own journey in the after-life.

... then I sit on the couch and watch horror movies and eat candy and freak out the little kids who come knocking for treats  :D

I could go into more details as to my practices if you want, but not right now (I'm not at home at the moment). Just let me know.

diniesaur

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 12:53:19 PM »

That's a good idea to think about which parts of life to change and which to keep the same. I think I will do that; maybe I should do some writing, too. I don't have access to a bonfire, but maybe candles will be good. I think an offering for the spirits would be good, too. I would like the offering to be somethink I cook, rather than something I just buy at the store. Does anyone know any good recipes?

Praying for the safe passage of the people who have recently died is a good idea; I never thought of that. I will also have fun handing out the candy to the cute little kids!  :loveheart:

Zlat

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 03:35:22 PM »

I have a few cousins who are still in single digit years, so I don't really have an option about the candy :)

Samhain is my New Year's, maybe that will help you put the tasks into perspective a bit. There's a bunch of recipes in another topic in this forum, apples are traditional so... homemade applesauce is pretty easy?

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 04:48:45 PM »

Homemade applesauce is wonderful!!  I recently posted a recipe in the Kitchen section if you are interested.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

Zlat

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 04:52:13 PM »

Homemade applesauce is wonderful!!  I recently posted a recipe in the Kitchen section if you are interested.

:yeahthat:

diniesaur

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 05:46:46 PM »

Thanks! I will see if I can make the homemade applesauce. It sounds gooood.

bluefire

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 06:15:48 PM »

My son is coming home from school for Samhain, so all the kids will be here and we are going to do a full-on Samhain this year. I am SO excited!

I'm going to bring out photos and trinkets from family members who have passed and make a life celebration altar. I'll take pictures when it's up. We have a ritual where we talk to those we miss who are passed and remember the lessons each of them taught us. It is always moving and wonderful, but we haven't done that for a few years now, for one reason or another.

Then we feast on our traditional Samhain meal:  harvest stew, home made bread, apples, and pumpkin pie.

Then the kids will inevitably have their own parties and such to do, but I like to write in my journal and reflect on the new year.
“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 07:30:18 PM »

I am going to have a very busy Samhain this year.  The festivities start next week and go through first weekend of November.  GW and I are attending two Samhain gatherings!  I am so excited I am about ready to burst.  :yeah:

Actually, I attended the first ritual where we honored our ancestors last night.  It was very moving and seemed to open the Veil a bit for me.  Now, to deal with the psychic energy that goes along with that.   :rolleye:

Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

diniesaur

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 06:16:41 PM »

I thought of something else I can add to my Samhain celebrations...I have a great-grandfather who was a very good, happy, smiling person but who I never got to meet. He was a Methodist minister, but he was the good kind, and he told Bible jokes ("When was elastic first mentioned in the Bible? When King Solomon tied his a** to a tree and walked a mile!"). My mom says that when he told a joke, he couldn't ever finish it because he would be laughing so hard. He loved nature and took care of orchids. He seems like a really nice person, and my mom says I would have liked him a lot.

There's a picture of him in the basement in my house, where my great-grandmother used to live before she moved to a retirement home (it was a nice basement, and she said she liked it there, so don't worry!). Since Samhain is about honoring the dead, I was thinking maybe I could go down there and pay my respects to him--maybe tell him how I would have liked to meet him and how everyone's doing, etc. Do you think this is a good idea, and how can I make this idea better?

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 06:49:47 PM »

It is a very good idea, and perfect just the way you've presented it.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 07:38:07 PM »

That sounds like a wonderful plan!
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 26 queries.