Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on this quote?  (Read 9479 times)

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
Thoughts on this quote?
« on: December 19, 2013, 03:00:39 PM »

Curious as to peoples' thoughts and reactions to this quote:

"If nobody hates you, you are doing something wrong."
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
Re: Thoughts on this quote?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 03:07:57 PM »

I would say the quote is about honesty and being genuine. 
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 03:28:07 PM »

Hate is a strong word ... and without context, it's difficult to give an opinion. 

With regard to the workplace, the implication would be that if you haven't pissed someone off, then you aren't doing your job. 

But if it's in reference to daily dealings with people you might see when out and about, it would say to me that I should be getting in people's faces, shouting my beliefs ... something I wouldn't do, which would imply that I should be engaging others differently.  Why should I?  Who has the right to say how I should be?

Taken merely at face value without context I guess I'd have to say that this says to me that if I don't impact anyone one way or the other then I'm not really living ... if all we ever get from others is ambivalence, then we really haven't touched their life in any form.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 06:42:35 PM »

That quote does not resonate with me at all. I try to live my life with as much compassion and least negative impact on others as possible. Hate is not the kind of energy I would be proud of producing in others.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 06:38:04 PM »

I don't like the quote either, it the type of goofy thing they might teach in a management class. Mercy, justice and kindness seem to be luxuries to most businesses, they want tough managers to make the "tough decisions". The trick to maintaining your soul is to ignore some of that go get them winner take all attitude and be a real human being. What they don't teach in business is that if you treat people well they often will walk through burning fire for you.
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 06:40:15 PM »

Some people will hate you regardless if you do anything to deserve it. You can sit all day and vibrate at a higher level and shoot bunny unicorn luvs out in all directions, but someone, somewhere is going to hate you just because.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 08:54:17 AM »

Some people will hate you regardless if you do anything to deserve it. You can sit all day and vibrate at a higher level and shoot bunny unicorn luvs out in all directions, but someone, somewhere is going to hate you just because.

I couldn't agree more with you Ghost Wolf, but the quote makes it sound like a good thing. I just get tired of all the positive spin in the opposite direction in business to justify being insensitive. I agree it is unavoidable on occasion, but is it a good thing or just one of the sadder side effects of sharing this rock with people?
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 11:21:07 AM »

I agree. There seems to be a trend in our society that emphasizes the importance of asserting our individualism over having manners and common decency. I think the internet makes it all so much easier to be "in people's faces" all the time and not giving a crap about how that makes others feel seems to be applauded.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »

While I agree with both vordan and EM, we still don't know the context of how the comment in question was used.

As much as I dislike sayings like this, I also understand that there are times where we need to push to get things done and others may not like that.  I cannot tell you how many times I ran into people at work who refused to do their jobs ... and then would get pissed at me for going to their boss.  Frequently they would whine and moan about what a b!tch I was to push.  Sorry dude, you're there to do a job and if you refuse and it affects me doing mine there's not much else I can do about it.  I never looked at it like the quote in question, but I did say "I'm here to do my job, not make friends" on more than on occasion.

Yes, there are many in management who think that if you're not pissing people off left and right that you can't possibly be doing your job right.  But those can sometimes be dealt with pretty easily.  My first boss in an aerospace job was sort of like this ... he used to tell me that I was "too nice" and should be pushing other people to make sure they did their job.  I always countered with "If I'm getting the job done, correctly and on time, why does it matter to you how I do it?".  Made him think about it.  It didn't change how he operated, but he did quit suggesting that I needed to be "firm" with others.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 03:11:29 PM »

FWIW, I have noticed lately that there is more consideration being given to respecting others in the business world.  It is part of developing a good culture and reducing attrition rates.

To me, this quote is more about cultivating popularity by pretending to be someone you are not  than it is about business practices.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 03:04:39 PM »

The comment is from the show "House" and was posted as a status by someone who has a habit of putting up stuff like that to justify being a b*tch. But I know I have a bias which is why I offered it without context.

In and of itself, I don't like the sentiment because to me it seems to express pride in having people hate you and use it as a sign of accomplishment, which I'm not a fan of.
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

Mongo

• Dungeon Master of Irish Diplomacy
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
    • Mongo's Musings
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 09:01:37 AM »

I take the same approach as others here have done.

While I accept the occasional necessity and/or inevitability of pissing someone off, it's not something I strive for nor is it something I take pride in.

It just is.

“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

anubisa

• Journeyman
  • Mood: okay
  • Spiritual Path: Egyptian Wiccan
  • Egyptian Wiccan
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 03:10:22 AM »

I agree with a lot of you. I would hope that I would not produce any negative energy, but some people think negatively of you anyway. I try my best to make sure I am kind to people and so that is reflected back to me, but you never know what you you're going to get. I don't like that quote because I simply don't like the word 'hate' like many others.
Anubisa
One day you will face him and he will weigh your soul. Only then will you see yourself for what you truly are.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.