Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Witches versus Witches.  (Read 10725 times)

Mongo

• Dungeon Master of Irish Diplomacy
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
    • Mongo's Musings
Witches versus Witches.
« on: October 31, 2013, 07:01:03 AM »

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/30/for-some-wiccans-halloween-is-a-real-witch/?hpt=hp_c2

Basically the article is talking about how some Wiccans (witches) are kvetching about the fact that Halloween exists since a popular icon of the secular holiday is the pointy-hat-wearing, green-skinned, hairy mold sporting witch.

So...is the Wiccan community really up in arms over the whole portrayal of the Halloween witch? Or did CNN just find someone with a broomstick jammed up their ass who would complain about it so CNN could get more ratings (and therefore more ad revenue)?

Discuss.
“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Summerhawk

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: NeoPlatonism
    • A Gypsy's Ribbon
Re: Witches versus Witches.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 07:15:40 AM »

I definitely think it's that second one. The unfortunate thing is that the "stick up the arse" syndrome has seeped in to the pagan mindset. This whole, "I'm offended by this, that, and the other thing just because I don't have anything more productive to focus on, and I just want to be angry about something" attitude that is an absolute plague in this world is seriously disconcerting. Is anyone complaining that the secular icon for Christmas is an old, extremely overweight, man who smokes, and who's taste in clothing needs some tweeking? "If it don't apply, let it fly". But, the media does need it's fodder.
What consumes your mind, controls your life.

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 08:48:08 AM »

I definitely think it's that second one. The unfortunate thing is that the "stick up the arse" syndrome has seeped in to the pagan mindset. This whole, "I'm offended by this, that, and the other thing just because I don't have anything more productive to focus on, and I just want to be angry about something" attitude that is an absolute plague in this world is seriously disconcerting.
Agree totally with this.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 12:01:43 PM »

I'll third that!  Drag a camera anywhere and some idiot with an opinion will be completely happy making an ass of themselves for those 15 minutes of fame.   :brickwall:
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 03:18:15 PM »

Not only do I agree with the Hawk, there are just some people who don't get the concept of EVOLUTION, or the myriad of traditions that go into modern holiday practices, no matter what the holiday.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 03:35:52 PM »

Not only do I agree with the Hawk, there are just some people who don't get the concept of EVOLUTION, or the myriad of traditions that go into modern holiday practices, no matter what the holiday.

:yeahthat: Halloween (and the Halloween witch) existed long before Wicca did.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 05:30:59 PM »

I think that people have always been at least half afraid of witches, that whole fear what you don't understand thing.  I am not so sure some outraged "out of the closet" Pagans are going to change how most people view us no matter how much energy they waste in the process.

Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Summerhawk

• Apprentice
    • A Gypsy's Ribbon
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 05:36:29 PM »

I think that people have always been at least half afraid of witches, that whole fear what you don't understand thing.  I am not so sure some outraged "out of the closet" Pagans are going to change how most people view us no matter how much energy they waste in the process.

That's the problem with any religion, or path. The idiots are always the loudest.

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 10:07:49 PM »

I pretty much agree with the others on this, the only thing I wanted to add is that the Halloween witch actually is pretty appropriate if you understand the concept of the season. It is the season of the Crone beginning so Crone depictions are very apt. In general people get all worked up about lots of things that are not important. As long as nobody is trying to behead me, stone me, or burn me for being a witch I am good with what people do. The killing of people for being witches still goes on in some places in this world actually, especially Muslim areas.
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

Summerhawk

• Apprentice
    • A Gypsy's Ribbon
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 10:34:45 PM »

I pretty much agree with the others on this, the only thing I wanted to add is that the Halloween witch actually is pretty appropriate if you understand the concept of the season. It is the season of the Crone beginning so Crone depictions are very apt. In general people get all worked up about lots of things that are not important. As long as nobody is trying to behead me, stone me, or burn me for being a witch I am good with what people do. The killing of people for being witches still goes on in some places in this world actually, especially Muslim areas.

Exactly!

shadowewolf

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 10:15:49 PM »

:yeahthat: I saw this on facebook and as I posted there: Reverent Mirth and Mirthful Reverence folks. if people wanna put up figures of the Crone let em!

bearusgregoria

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 12:06:15 PM »

its just my personal opinion but people seem to stereotype everything nowadays and this is a direct result of the ignorance of men at such a deep lvl. Of course most people would rather make fun of witches than to perhaps take a leap of faith on their own due to the fear of the unknown. and i agree that calling santa for what he is makes his symbol yet another stereotype. maybe one day we will all be on the same page
many blessings,
Bear
"Through the depths of madness do you find ultimate brilliance" - Albert Einstein

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 07:16:35 PM »

Don't even get me started on the Santa thing.  As a Heathen, I know that Santa is Odin in his Grey Wanderer aspect.  He was even tall and trim until he started drinking Coca-Cola.   :whistle:
Blessings,
dragon

Summerhawk

• Apprentice
    • A Gypsy's Ribbon
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 09:01:40 PM »

Don't even get me started on the Santa thing.  As a Heathen, I know that Santa is Odin in his Grey Wanderer aspect.  He was even tall and trim until he started drinking Coca-Cola.   :whistle:

:rotflmao:

Mongo

• Dungeon Master of Irish Diplomacy
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
    • Mongo's Musings
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 01:12:38 PM »

Like this...

And here's a nice Wiki article segment about it.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 01:15:20 PM by Mongo »
“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.