Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: new house energy? ?  (Read 17428 times)

FairyMom

new house energy? ?
« on: September 09, 2014, 06:02:10 PM »

Here's my question/concern for anyone who may know about energy in a new house....

As I've posted before, I just had a wonderful baby and bought a new house. I wanted to cleanse the house of any unbalanced or harmful energy. But when I walk through the house it seems so calm... as if there is no harmful or unbalanced energy. I do not sense any spirits either.
My boyfriend was engaged previously and has items and furniture from his previous house which we are using. So I guess I have 3 questions....
1. Can energy/spirits lay dormant until we actually move in?
2. Can my boyfriends items and furniture bring any harmful unbalanced energy to the house? And...
3. When should I cleanse the house?

I am concerned because of my 3 month old son. I want him in a calm and positive environment.

Thanks everyone   :rolleye:

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
Re: new house energy? ?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 09:40:50 PM »

1.  Yes.  It is possible for spirits to be resting and then get stirred up when new occupants show up.
2.  Yes.  If you feel there is negative energy attached to items from the previous relationship, you might want to consider a cleansing.
3.  I cleansed our new home before we moved in - it is such a small effort for something so important as creating a haven for your loved ones.  You may also want to clear out the energies periodically thereafter.  No matter how happy people are, negative energy can accumulate over time.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 02:34:48 AM »

Completely agree with all DS has said.

Cleansing never hurts and neither does drawing in happy/peaceful energies.  I regularly cleanse my home (smudge to chase off negativity, then burn incense to bring in the positive) and will do an extra session if things get chaotic in between cleansings.  I also keep a ward on the property to help keep negative gunk from building up too fast.  ;)
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

FairyMom

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »

DS that was very helpful thank you....CD, what do you mean by a ward? How would I go about doing that?

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 08:44:30 PM »

Just had a thought wondering if there are any warding videos on youtube.  :idea: This topic plus the grounding and shielding seems to come up again and again and though we have experienced folks on here who can describe the processes, I personally never seem to really get it. A "warding for dummies" type youtube video of someone doing a ward (or doing a grounding/shielding) and describing the process while showing it might just be the ticket for me, I think. Maybe it's crazy, but I thought I'd put it out there in case any of our "elders" here might consider something like that some time.  :whistle:
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 05:06:50 AM »

EM, I have no clue how one would do a video "showing" how to put up an energetic shield ... there isn't anything to "see".  :confused:

FairyMom, a ward is basically an energetic shield for a house or other building or property.  Mine covers most of the property our house sits on.  It serves a function similar to that of a personal shield.  If you haven't tried doing a personal shield, I suggest getting familiar with that before attempting to erect a ward ... it's a much larger shield and could be a bit daunting if you aren't used to working with this sort of energy field.  ;)
Albert Einstein

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 09:08:40 AM »

CD, are you walking around your property doing various things while making the ward or could you just be sitting on your couch not moving doing it all in your head? I think maybe I am thinking I would pick up on some energy of the person in the youtube video that I don't get just reading posts online. I also wish I saw others do a circle casting-- I know how to do the steps, I have my own version, but I think I would gain something by seeing someone else do it.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »

I am with CD  - I do not think that a video would help much.  The success of a warding depends more on what goes on inside one's head than any outward actions, words, etc. 

ETA:  I will try and write an account of the cleansing and warding methods used to protect our new home this weekend. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:11:21 AM by dragonspring »
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 01:11:32 PM »

CD, are you walking around your property doing various things while making the ward or could you just be sitting on your couch not moving doing it all in your head?

I walk around while smudging to clear out negative/unwanted energies but when I erect (or repair) the shield I just sit or stand wherever it's convenient.

I think maybe I am thinking I would pick up on some energy of the person in the youtube video that I don't get just reading posts online. I also wish I saw others do a circle casting-- I know how to do the steps, I have my own version, but I think I would gain something by seeing someone else do it.

Yeah, you could pick up on the energy of the person performing the task .... but I'm not sure that would be enough.  It seems to me that in your case this isn't just a situation where more practice or confidence would help; I think that this may be one of those times where the logical side just refuses to believe that something is possible without following an exact "recipe".  But there is no right or wrong way to build an energetic shield or create a circle (or do any other energetic task).  If you believe something will work, it will.  But that belief can be hard to muster if your logical side is constantly undermining what your energetic body already knows.  ;)
Albert Einstein

FairyMom

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 05:36:06 PM »

I'd like to practice a personal shield and eventually move on to a property ward.... so any info helps....

Also, I was told when doing a cleansing it is wise to vacuum the entire house in order to get rid of dust (because it is magnetic and collects energy)

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 06:17:35 PM »

:confused:  Dust is not magnetic (unless we're talking iron dust which probably isn't in your house) though it can create a static charge when it moves if the air is dry.

IME there is no collection of psychic energy in dust (at least nothing significant) so I'm not sure why someone would suggest that vacuuming is necessary.  I've never bothered and there isn't much point in my house with a dog that sheds like crazy.  :rolleye:

If you feel a need to vacuum there's nothing wrong with doing so but again, there is no "right" or "wrong" way to work with energies and I'd be suspicious of anyone who says "You must do X or Y".  ;)
Albert Einstein

FairyMom

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 08:46:24 PM »

CD, I felt like the vacuuming thing sounded a bit odd :confused:  oh well....just one persons way of doing things. I prefer to try smudging, and like I said I'd also like to try and practice shielding  :meditate3:

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 10:48:42 PM »

CD, the logical side could be causing problems, I suppose, but I think part of it is I feel I would have a lot more confidence if saw someone else do it and have them describe their thoughts and what they were doing in detail while they did it. I envision it would sort of be like a yoga class with guided meditation or the tai chi classes I have taken when the instructor tells what he is doing with his mind to sense subtle energy differences or move the energy while he is doing it. I think I am probably getting a lot of subtle information (their facial expression, demeanor, breathing, energy, etc.) from viewing them that just doesn't come through written word, if that makes sense--I can definitely notice the moment when a person is really grounding or sinking their chi in a yoga or tai chi class-- and then I imitate what I see.

Thanks, DS, for posting about what you did to ward and cleanse the property.

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 02:38:29 AM »

EM, I get that there are nuances that can frequently be picked up on when watching a demonstration, but I'm really having trouble understanding what you might get from watching an activity where there is nothing to see visually.  If I just sit calmly with my eyes closed, there isn't even any body language to read.

Doing any sort of shield requires that the person building it believe that what they put up will work.  If you can feel the energy of the shield you've built that's even better.  But no matter what I do (or anyone else might do), I can't influence whether or not you believe you can erect a shield. 
Albert Einstein

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 09:17:52 AM »

Sure, I get what you are saying but I do see a difference between someone sitting calmly and someone who has rooted into the earth and I think one can, or at least I can, detect when that happens. I just think it would help if I knew how people visualize it. What does your shield look like as you are putting it up and can you visualize the entire thing at one time? Even when doing a circle casting I find it hard to maintain an image of the entire sphere I am trying to visualize to cover my space. I usually just end up seeing/sensing one side of it at a time and trying to think that it connects and is all intact. Guess I just need more practice...

Re. the dust, I have not heard the idea of dust being magnetic but I have heard of stagnant energy collecting in corners (dust and crud tends to collect there too) and that spirits will hang out in areas that we do not use where there is stagnant energy. Ostensibly, vacuuming would stir up and get rid of that stagnant energy. What do you think, CD? Is this BS?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 09:26:34 AM by earthmuffin »

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 12:49:13 PM »

Sure, I get what you are saying but I do see a difference between someone sitting calmly and someone who has rooted into the earth and I think one can, or at least I can, detect when that happens. I just think it would help if I knew how people visualize it. What does your shield look like as you are putting it up and can you visualize the entire thing at one time? Even when doing a circle casting I find it hard to maintain an image of the entire sphere I am trying to visualize to cover my space. I usually just end up seeing/sensing one side of it at a time and trying to think that it connects and is all intact. Guess I just need more practice...

Yeah, I get not being able to visualize clearly or for an extended period.  But that's really not necessary.  ES has a thread here somewhere (I'll try and find it later when I have more time) with an exercise on drawing a personal shield that could be used for larger shields like a home ward.  Again, it goes back to belief ... if you believe a shield drawn on paper will create a shield around yourself (or your car or home) then it will work.  This is why I said I thought your logical side is hampering your efforts ... I don't think you're allowing yourself to really believe that you can do something like this without some sort of "proof", be it evidence of your own work or first seeing or sensing what someone else does.  Does that make any sense?

Still ... I get that there can be a huge struggle to get the logical side to accept that which we can't see visually.  I've had to deal with that a lot myself.  I'll see if I can put into words how I visualize things and post something later today or tomorrow (gotta run off right now).

Re. the dust, I have not heard the idea of dust being magnetic but I have heard of stagnant energy collecting in corners (dust and crud tends to collect there too) and that spirits will hang out in areas that we do not use where there is stagnant energy. Ostensibly, vacuuming would stir up and get rid of that stagnant energy. What do you think, CD? Is this BS?

I don't know that I'd say it's BS ... anything is possible.  But that's not something I've experienced.  Regardless, the process of smudging chases off ickies from everywhere in the space being cleansed so it's not something I'd worry about when cleansing my space.  ;)
Albert Einstein

Tinevisce

• Apprentice
  • Mood: excited
  • Spiritual Path: Hindu Shaktite, with Eclectic Occult Influences
  • As above, so below
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 01:08:50 PM »

Sure, I get what you are saying but I do see a difference between someone sitting calmly and someone who has rooted into the earth and I think one can, or at least I can, detect when that happens. I just think it would help if I knew how people visualize it

I remember reading someone's post here- Mongo, perhaps?- about how they visualised their shield/ward to 'materialise' like something they saw in a movie/TV Show. That is to say, that's how they were most comfortable seeing the energy manifest in their mind's eye.
So I dunno, maybe if someone adept at shielding ever found a movie or a TV show where a shield manifests or is woven in a way that's similar to how they go about setting stuff up; they can quote that as a visual reference. There's obviously much more to the actual process than that, but it might give you visual pointers.
Like, "OK, I visualise my shield like how they erected those shields around Hogwarts in Deathly Hallows 2"
Am I making any sense?

Re: the original question, I think Vordan once told me on the old Wicca Forums website when I asked a question about warding- and I'm heavily paraphrasing- that most Neo Pagans have their own 'informal' ways of clearing out negativity and shielding around their homes. When you're saying daily devotionals, holding esbat circles or smudging- heck, firelight is also great for banishing negativity; you're clearing out negative energies- and over time, such things (I feel) accumulate into a shield all on their own.

That said, I do think there is something to be gained with a more deliberately constructed shield- I personally haven't done anything like that, though. So perhaps a deliberate shield initially, and then the other 'daily' things to reinforce and augment?
Keep in mind that my spellwork does tend to depend a lot of visceral reactions than structured rituals :)

Congratulations for the new baby and new home- both such beautiful things.  :groovin:
"Better not to send at all,
Then to pledge overmuch"

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 02:11:08 PM »

Yeah, I get not being able to visualize clearly or for an extended period.  But that's really not necessary.  ES has a thread here somewhere (I'll try and find it later when I have more time) with an exercise on drawing a personal shield that could be used for larger shields like a home ward.  Again, it goes back to belief ... if you believe a shield drawn on paper will create a shield around yourself (or your car or home) then it will work.  This is why I said I thought your logical side is hampering your efforts ... I don't think you're allowing yourself to really believe that you can do something like this without some sort of "proof", be it evidence of your own work or first seeing or sensing what someone else does.  Does that make any sense?

Still ... I get that there can be a huge struggle to get the logical side to accept that which we can't see visually.  I've had to deal with that a lot myself.  I'll see if I can put into words how I visualize things and post something later today or tomorrow (gotta run off right now).

Yes, it does make sense and I agree. I think I also want to create steps to a process which would involve moving around and creating an image for myself that feels more real to me (yes, T, I am looking for a visual that clicks with me like you suggest) so that I feel like I have actually done something. It's harder for me to accept it working if I am just sitting and thinking it. While I can easily sink my chi while standing still and thinking about it, extending energy out to a very large area around my house is not something I can as easily feel in my body, so maybe is harder to accept?

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 03:31:46 AM »

Yes, it does make sense and I agree. I think I also want to create steps to a process which would involve moving around and creating an image for myself that feels more real to me (yes, T, I am looking for a visual that clicks with me like you suggest) so that I feel like I have actually done something. It's harder for me to accept it working if I am just sitting and thinking it. While I can easily sink my chi while standing still and thinking about it, extending energy out to a very large area around my house is not something I can as easily feel in my body, so maybe is harder to accept?

Yes, I get needing to have a process as a place to start.  I sort of had a process at one time, but the more I played with energies, it quickly became obvious to me that there is no reason to constrain myself within a specific structure.  It's been the same with the Reiki ... the "process" that they teach (and that some teachers will claim you have to follow) is really just a starting point.  It didn't take long before I decided to just do what I feel I need to do and once I stop worrying about what someone else considers "right" or "necessary" things flow much better for me.  I guess my point with this is to say that developing a process (if that's what you initially need) is fine, but don't allow yourself to be constrained by it ... allow for your technique to grow and change as you get used to dealing with the energies.

Regarding the sentence I bolded in the quote: yes, I think that not easily being able to sense energies external to yourself can make it harder to logically accept. (I know, I keep going back to that logic, right?)  Also, one does not need to use their own energy to build a shield or ward (and I would argue that you shouldn't).  The Universe has nearly limitless energy that we can use to shape into shields, charge objects, use for healing, etc.  If you can manipulate your own energy, you can manipulate energies around you.  ;)
Albert Einstein

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 07:19:03 AM »

I would agree about not using your own energy to power a ward.  However, I think that we absolutely use our own energy to program the energy we are using.  Clearing out negative energies and creating effective wards are forms of "magic" - magic being defined as the manifestation of will.  I think it is a natural phenomenon and that anyone can do it but it takes practice and it takes confidence in oneself.  It also takes belief.  To create magic, we must absolutely believe that what we will shall be.  If we do not believe, we can have perfect technique and speak perfect words and magic will not happen.

Everything has energy and we utilize certain things, like herbs and crystals, because of their specific energetic signatures.  Even if we don't believe or have confidence, burning sage will clear out negative energy.  However, it will be more effective if it is powered by the application of will.
Blessings,
dragon

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 10:22:20 AM »

FairyMom, I hope you don't mind that I have been butting in on your discussion. As a newbie in sensing and manipulating energy, I have been frustrated by discussions of warding because I haven't been able to really comprehend it.

This discussion has helped me understand somewhat, but  DS and CD, what I am really lacking on still is the how. I think it would easier to have confidence if I even knew where to start. And I guess that means getting better at sensing energies external to myself because I have no clue how I would draw on any energy in the universe to make a shield.  I think it might be easier to stick to what I know and accomplish it via journeying.

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 01:42:20 PM »

EM, I see DS has added a thread on how she did a ward using crystals.  I'm still trying to figure out how to explain how someone might go about building a purely energetic shield ... I tend to save "structured" (for lack of a better word) workings for rituals which for me are used solely to commune with the Divine (and others if it's a group ritual).  For something like a ward or shield I just do it.  No tools, no preplanned words, no structure.  The only real difficulty for me in getting to a point where I have complete confidence that what I do will work was convincing my logical side to accept that working with energy is "real" ... and getting that side to either play nice or shut up depending on what I'm doing. 

The problem with how I did that (and why explaining it won't help) is that not everyone has the ability to take the route I did ... a lot of my personal growth in this area was due to the training I received for doing the Light Language grids and (to a lesser degree) Reiki.  Finding a LL teacher would be tough for most (there are very few LL teachers) and the cost to go as far as I did is too much for most people.  Reiki is more readily available but there is still a cost that some may find prohibitive.  Both require that an attunement be performed by the teacher (think of this like a direct download of a specific energy) and the energy received sets up a series of energetic changes within the person being attuned.  (not a pleasant or easy process)  As a result of all this I have a much different relationship with energy than most people do,

Regardless, I'll figure something out to say on the matter.  After reading your most recent post I think I'll start a couple of threads ... one on energetic shields in general, the other on working with energies external to the self.  If you haven't tried yet, I'd suggest playing with balls of energy that you create.  That will go a long way toward being able to sense and feel energies that aren't within your own energetic bodies.  ;)
Albert Einstein

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 04:45:31 AM »

Well ... I've been trying all day to get a post up and it's been slow going.  :gaah:

I do have quite a bit written, and was planning on finishing after hubby went to bed, but as I sat down to do that I realized that I hadn't yet wrapped the presents for the grandbaby's birthday party tomorrow!  :omg:

Needless to say, that took top priority ... and now it's almost 3am and I need to get some sleep so I'll finish the post sometime tomorrow.  Hopefully in the morning, but realistically it will probably be tomorrow night.  Sorry 'bout that.
Albert Einstein

FairyMom

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 03:01:15 PM »

EM, I don't mind at all. I actually appreciate all of this because I am learning a lot myself! :)

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2014, 11:12:14 PM »

Regardless, I'll figure something out to say on the matter.  After reading your most recent post I think I'll start a couple of threads ... one on energetic shields in general, the other on working with energies external to the self.  If you haven't tried yet, I'd suggest playing with balls of energy that you create.  That will go a long way toward being able to sense and feel energies that aren't within your own energetic bodies.  ;)

Don't know why I did not think of it (maybe because I haven't gone to a class in years) but there are a lot of lessons to be learned along these lines from Tai Chi.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 26 queries.