Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Patron discovery meditation has turned up something ... unexpected ...  (Read 9639 times)

DisreputableMog

• Spiritual Path: Long and mysterious (Eclectic witch)
    • Asleep at the Altar; Stumbling Towards Divinity

To be specific a chess piece. A rook.

I've never learned or played chess. I'm not good at strategy in any facet of my life. And in all my research, I can't find a single deity, not even in Eastern and Asian pantheons, that have a strong relation to games.

I looked up the rook online and the best that I can figure out, it's symbolism would be something in relation to Persian chariots, which were heavily armored and usually manned by at least one archer. But it's equally likely to be representative of crenelated turret castles, from when the game was brought to the West (because of the pieces' appearance).

The rook can move any number of spots on the board in any direction as long as the pathway is clear, if I understand completely what I read. It is also a relatively valuable piece, directly under a queen.

My only other clue is fire. Literally. I ate a giant, two-palm-sized flame in one mouthful.

I am completely stumped. Any thoughts?
Where the climate is raw and the gun makes the law, neither wind nor the rain care for bravery. A rebel I came, and I'll die just the same, on a cold winter's night you will find me - Roibeárd Gearóid Ó Seachnasaigh

Check out my blog for Klutzy-Witch Anecdotes- http://asleepatthealtar.blogspot.com/

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
Re: Patron discovery meditation has turned up something ... unexpected ...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 12:44:56 PM »

Food for thought - a "rook" is also a type of bird, related to the crow and raven. Depending on how the symbol apeared to you, it may be an interpretation to explore.
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

DisreputableMog

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 01:12:48 PM »

I thought of that, but it just didn't seem to fit. It was a white-colored chess piece. (I forgot to mention that >>; ) Rooks are a kind of crow, aren't they?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:06:12 PM by DisreputableMog »
Where the climate is raw and the gun makes the law, neither wind nor the rain care for bravery. A rebel I came, and I'll die just the same, on a cold winter's night you will find me - Roibeárd Gearóid Ó Seachnasaigh

Check out my blog for Klutzy-Witch Anecdotes- http://asleepatthealtar.blogspot.com/

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 01:25:13 PM »

They're related, but yeah, a white one isn't pinging for me. Someone more well-versed in Celtic lore might know otherwise, though.
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 02:31:26 PM »

It is also possible that this is an indication that "your path is clear" and you "can go in any direction" rather than trying to focus on one specific aspect of deity.  Just a thought.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 04:33:57 PM »

My initial thought on the rook was the same as Tirya's: the bird. And white, for me, is a color of the north (snow).
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

DisreputableMog

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 09:10:01 PM »

-Update-
Throwing this out there, my first thought was Apollo. The early symbolism of a chariot and archer, and the fire representing the sun.

I admit, though, this only came to me after a lot of research and poking around, and it still feels very far-fetched.

Thank you all so much for your ideas, this is the only thing I've really ever come up grasping straws at, but I am sort of starting from the beginning again.

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 10:16:31 PM »

So you meditated with the wish to discover your patron and you got a vision of a rook chess piece?

It is also possible that this is an indication that "your path is clear" and you "can go in any direction" rather than trying to focus on one specific aspect of deity.  Just a thought.

This is how I would interpret the answer also. A tower (rook) would be indicative of an aspiration and white usually signifies (at least to me) spirituality or purity.

I would meditate some more with the intent to clarify the message of the rook.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 11:46:03 PM »

I was thinking Mithra.
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

VisionFromAfar

• Vanquiser of Foolishness
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood: :raven:
  • Spiritual Path: Under construction.
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 01:08:49 PM »

Your mention of chariot, coupled with the eating of fire, might suggest Sól (Sunna), the Norse Sun Goddess.

She rides the chariot of the sun, and is chased constantly by the wolf Sköll (son of Fenrir), who will consume her at Ragnarok, after which her daughter will ride the chariot of the sun. There's also mention in the lore of a shield being carried by this chariot (thus making it an armored chariot, akin to the original chess piece):

In a stanza of the poem Grímnismál, Odin says that before the sun is a shield named Svalinn, and if the shield were to fall from its frontal position, mountain and sea "would burn up". - Wikipedia

Hope this helps.
A man listens thus he learns. - Havamal

It takes a Viking to raze a village.

DisreputableMog

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 07:55:38 AM »

I just finished a book of Norse myths, and I remember that, actually, now that you mention it. Thanks!

Unrelated, Sun and Moon had a rough go of it. =/

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.