Sabbats/Holidays and Esbats > Mabon

Mabon 2011--What are you planning?

(1/7) > >>

Green Seeker:
Just wondering what my fellow Pagans will be doing for the 2011 Autumnal Equinox (assuming you celebrate the Sabbats, of course).

I'm thinking about harvesting a bunch of acorns (if they are ready in time) and crafting some homemade acorn meal/flour. I hear some varieties (especially the white oaks) have a pleasant taste once the tannins are removed through boiling. I plan on using the meal to make really hearty and dense breads. Half I'll sweeten with honey and maybe add some apples to the batter, the other I will use some wild onions and garlic to create a savory flavor.

I'll be sure to leave the best two loaves of each batch as an offering to the tree, share the rest with friends and family, and then perhaps retire to the backyard to relax outside and enjoy the changing colors of the foliage around me. I love this time of year!

Eternal Seeker:

I will be leading three rituals, (prison ministries) and attending a third, (a CUUPS group), in addition to the private family one. I don't yet know what forms they will all take.

peace,
ES

Tirya:
Acorn flour - I wish I'd thought of that last year when my post oaks were dropping acorns like rain! :)

Green Seeker:
I guess they're also easy to store for future use if you keep them in the hulls. Just make sure you hang them in a cloth sack or other similar method so that mold doesn't grow if you pack them too tightly.

With the cost of nuts being so high I think it's going to be fun to experiment with the acorns since the price is just a little time and effort. They can be used any way that you can use a typical tree nut. After processing (which is just boiling them in a couple changes of water until the tannins are dissolved and the water stops changing color) some varieties of oak trees produce acorns that rival chestnuts in flavor.

I'll keep you guys posted and let you know how they taste. Anyone have a squirrel familiar/totem guide?? Perhaps eating acorns would be a good way to get in touch...haha.

dragonspring:
GW and I are going to the Serpentsone Harvest Gathering!  Can't wait to see our Pagan family and dance around the fire!   :yeah:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version