Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleansing a house that was on Native American land  (Read 10108 times)

ZephyrSnakey

Cleansing a house that was on Native American land
« on: October 28, 2014, 12:41:55 AM »

Hello! I'm new here! My boyfriend and I just took a leap of faith and will be moving from Pittsburgh, PA to Lisbon, New Hampshire in a week and a half. We found a beautiful farmhouse that was built in the 1800's on land that used to belong to Native American tribes. I didn't get any negative feeling when we did the tour of the house but my emotions were running high because I was so excited to find something so perfect and exactly what we were looking for. I just want to do a cleansing of the house before we move in and one of the local shops nearby has a blended smudge stick with white sage and several other unique smudging herbs that are handmade by a Native American woman. I'd really like to try one of those because it's locally made. I'd also like to use a feather of some kind but I don't know if there's specific ones used for certain types of cleansings or if you can use any kind. This will be my first house cleansing so I'm a little nervous. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys! :)

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
Re: Cleansing a house that was on Native American land
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 09:13:40 AM »

The smudge stick sounds nice. I think people use different types of feathers but bear in mind that only feathers  hunted species are actually legal to possess. For that reason, you tend to see a lot of turkey feather smudge fans. Those can be rather costly if they are fancy, but a single feather will usually suffice. If it were my house cleansing I would probably sprinkle some tobacco or corn meal around the property as an offering to spirits of the land, but I think you should do what you feel is right for your place. congratulations on your new home!
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

ZephyrSnakey

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 10:10:36 PM »

Thank you for the reply! I've seen so many cleansings go wrong which is why I'm really intimidated but the suggestions you had sounded really great. I'll have to research what sorts of foods were grown in that part of New Hampshire. Do any of the out buildings have to be cleansed as well,  like the barn? I'm

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 11:14:19 PM »

Yes, you can do outbuildings as well. I don't know if it is a necessity unless you feel that it is. I'm curious about the cleansings gone wrong-- have never heard of such a thing before.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 04:01:02 AM »

I'm curious about the cleansings gone wrong-- have never heard of such a thing before.

Nor have I.  :confused:  Cleansings will always work as they are intended.  Now, if there is an entity that already resides in the space, a cleansing wouldn't necessarily chase it off, but that is a different issue.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 09:10:15 PM »

Just out of curiosity since all land in the United States was once Native American land, what was on this particular site? What is the history of this place?
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 26 queries.