Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Confusing Visualization--Need Help  (Read 10500 times)

diniesaur

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Something to do with Set and possibly Bast
Confusing Visualization--Need Help
« on: December 05, 2011, 05:14:47 PM »

This isn't as exciting as it seems; I just need help understanding this. I was practicing a Pentacle visualization, the one where you draw a pentacle in your mind with blue light and then undraw it in the opposite direction.

I'm ordinarily very good at visualization, and I had no trouble drawing it, but when I undrew it, I could get rid of the first line (the one that goes from top to bottom left) but I couldn't get rid of the next (bottom left to top right) or any other ones. I have no idea why this is. I kept pushing and trying to control it, but something told me I shouldn't push at it. I got frustrated and eventually I finally undrew it, but I still kind of have it in my mind. I'm confused.

Why did this happen, and how can I improve my skill with this?

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
Re: Confusing Visualization--Need Help
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 06:48:42 PM »

I would think that practice would help.  Can't say much more except that you need to believe that you can do this to be successful and try not to let the frustration you felt color your future attempts.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

diniesaur

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 08:05:39 PM »

Thanks, dragonspring. I will practice again soon.

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: through the spiritual garden
    • CUUmbaya
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 10:33:42 PM »

Here's an exercise in visualization: http://www.paganjourneys.com/index.php?topic=181.0

peace,
ES
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons

diniesaur

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 09:12:24 PM »

Thanks, Eternal Seeker! It seems like you have something to help everyone on here!

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
    • CUUmbaya
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 10:05:46 PM »

Well, what's the use of living more than a half century if you can't pick up a trick or two?

peace,
ES

Zlat

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 11:36:10 AM »

Well, what's the use of living more than a half century if you can't pick up a trick or two?

Seems more like 8000 ES.  :D

treeforest

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Witch
    • Treeforest
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 02:23:07 PM »

I have similar troubles with visualization - I often have distractions dancing across my line of sight, making the visualization fade. I have gotten better with practice but the erratic nature of my brain still causes problems!
One thing I like to do is pour my completed, successful visualizations into a quartz crystal to come back to later. Looking back at my successes has shown me what works and what doesn't, and taught me a lot of lessons I have applied to further, more advanced visualizations.

kiara

• Mood: Contemplative
  • Spiritual Path: Still Searching
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 09:02:14 AM »

I have a question. Is the form of visualization diniesaur talks about a kind of meditation? And is the form of visualization ES linked a type of ritual. I'm kind of confused. :confused:

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
    • CUUmbaya
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 01:26:04 PM »

Yes and yes. The visualization ritual doesn't have to be a true ritual; it can be rehearsal for a real ritual you'll be doing elsewhere... but if you can visualize it well, it can be a true ritual- and one you can do when denied the tools of the craft! (like in school, or in prison)

peace,
ES

kiara

• Mood: Contemplative
  • Spiritual Path: Still Searching
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 03:01:19 PM »

Oh thank you. Now I understand! I'll try both on separate occasions when I get some quiet time to myself.

Mongo

• Dungeon Master of Irish Diplomacy
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
    • Mongo's Musings
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 11:40:55 PM »

On a side note.

I knew I had become quite good at the art of visualization when I started running a Dungeons and Dragons-styled campaign again.

The party had gotten to a puzzle where they had to make the final move in a chess game. I as the GM was describing the scene and I "held up" one of the pieces and pantomimed putting it on the board.

The group turned to the one character who had the chess skill at a high level (and was a few points shy of becoming a Grand Master in real life) and said. "It's going to have to be you. He put a knight on the board and they move too weird for me to figure out."

Now all I had done at this point was to hold my thumb and forefinger out as if I was holding something that was three inches tall and had not described the layout on the board nor had I informed them of the pieces that were on the board. As a matter of fact, my notes stated to let anyone who asked that I was indeed holding a knight.

When I run a game and I describe a scene, I visualize it in my mind. This helps me to answer the questions like "Where is [item] in relation to [some other item]?" If I can see it in my minds eye, I can tell them in detail. In my mind's eye I was holding a knight made out of carved alabaster.

I knew that day that I was getting good when people who are not pagans or even practitioners of magic "saw" the piece that I was "holding" in my hand.
“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

diniesaur

• Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 06:19:49 PM »

Wow, Mongo! That's really cool!

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to thank everyone for the advice; my computer quit letting me view this thread, but now it's fixed. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 23 queries.