Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How will you celebrate Imbolc?  (Read 15725 times)

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
How will you celebrate Imbolc?
« on: January 26, 2012, 11:03:16 PM »

Just wondering if anyone has any plans? Please share here.

I REALLY would love to do something because all my pagan Sabbat celebrations fell by the wayside last year. Somehow I was either too sick, the people I planned to do something with were sick or it just fell through for one reason or another. I really missed not doing anything.

Imbolc always seems to sneak up on me. One year, maybe it was the first I was really celebrating the Sabbats, I had a candle-making party and lunch with my lady friends and I served some dishes appropriate to Imbolc. I can't remember exactly what we had now. Another year, I think I started seeds indoors. I'm not feeling too social these days so I am thinking I'd like to do something but maybe keep it to just the family. Maybe candle dipping with the kiddos and starting some seeds for the garden-- make it more about the kids. Yeah, I like that idea; I need some quality family time with my girls.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

skullabyes

• Spiritual Path: Wiccan
Re: How will you celebrate Imbolc?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 05:09:48 AM »

Imbolc has evolved into my second favorite Sabbat.

I actually started over a week ago preparing. For me, this is a time of dedication and initiation. I focus on my personal rededication to my tradition. I write and pray. This is always a very happy time for me.
On the actual night of Imbolc, I will meet with another to share in some rededication rituals.

This is also a time when (in honor of Brigid) I reconsecrate my tools. I have found that through the years, I have accumulated soooo many tools and "stuff"... I love "stuff"...
But I must admit that much of it has gone unused. Put on a shelf, pretty to look at, but unused.
(Can anyone else relate to this?)
I have gathered this "stuff", piece by piece. My goal is to do a type of magickal "spring cleaning". I started getting reacquainted with them, honoring them for their intended purpose. I re-welcomed them into the family. Through a series of methods, I will "dust off", polish, cleanse... literally, and spiritually.
Once done, many will be set out on my windowsills at Imbolc and remain until after the full moon.
This has taken its own preparation. I have 12 windows in our bedroom, facing in three of the directions.
These windows must also be cleaned and polished, rubbed with a special oil (one of my concoctions).
And the "stuff" will be assigned a window corresponding with it's intended direction.
Let the blessing of the tools begin...
and I get a little jump on spring cleaning. 

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 05:55:55 AM »

Spring Cleaning... seriously.

Followed by a rededication of my altar, and a meditation directed toward Brigit. And probably something like putting out thread snips for the birds, a suet block for my squirrel, and maybe a salt lick for the deer on the golf course.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

skullabyes

• Spiritual Path: Wiccan
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 06:51:21 AM »

Not sure what you mean by "Spring cleaning... seriously!"...

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 07:21:49 AM »

Means she's going to do some serious Spring cleaning.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 09:15:09 AM »

Skull, I really like your spring cleaning and rededication of the tools idea. And yes, I totally relate to having many unused pieces that need a good cleansing. I'm thinking now perhaps I should undertake something similar with all my stones who have been a bit neglected lately. They are probably getting unhappy with me!

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 10:29:12 AM »

A simple ritual and an intiation for a member of my little group, it is a good time to celebrate beginnings. Actually I am looking forward to this for the person being intiated attended as a guest only because of his wife's involvement but eventually came to appreciate the nature oriented pantheistic philosophy of our group and it's emphasis on self developement. He had to become sincere about his path before we let him actually join. They are a beautiful couple they have been in love for many years having met in highschool and now being older having raised their children together.  Our normal ritual for this holiday over the years involves discussing any signs of dormant life that we see in winter and lighting candles.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:25:56 PM by vordan »
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 10:52:32 AM »

I'm really liking this thread. I don't know that I've ever done much to celebrate Imbolc - it never really "clicked" with me the way some of the others have, and even less so since I moved to a place with little to no snow. But this thread has pinged something that I need to explore, and I appreciate it!
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Unitarian Universalist Pagan Witch
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 11:23:27 AM »

Being the first year that I'll be really trying to celebrate the Sabbats I'm also wondering what to do for Imbolc. It doesn't really work for me the way it works for others (I think Fox just said that..) Anyway I was thinking about doing a pancake dinner and reflection of...something that needs reflecting on :/

Yeah, aside from the food I have no idea. 

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 02:15:08 PM »

Not sure what you mean by "Spring cleaning... seriously!"...

Not everyone would get the signifigance of totally cleaning the house before Imbloc, which is why the "seriously"..as in, that is exactly what I am doing. Actually, that starts tomorrow with the Kidling's room.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

Wookie8662

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic solitary
  • Walking Carpet
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 08:43:41 PM »

Anyway I was thinking about doing a pancake dinner

I enjoy having breakfast for dinner, but for some reason, it was never pancakes.
Maybe a new tradition is beginning.  :cheer:

I need more candles too, so I will be making some this time around.
“One of the deep secrets of life is that all that is really worth the doing is what we do for others.” - Lewis Carroll

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 08:10:09 AM »

Actually, that starts tomorrow with the Kidling's room.

Imagine that...  :whistle:
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 10:32:28 AM »

Actually, that starts tomorrow with the Kidling's room.

Imagine that...  :whistle:

Somewhere in that disaster area is her science textbook. She kinda needs it.

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »

Imbolc is my daughter's birthday.  I usually do a private observance of the Sabbat after I take her out to dinner.  I haven't talked to her about what she wants to do this year, so we will see.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 05:53:58 PM »

Kidling was due that day.... she waited another nine before joining us.

thegeekwitch

• Apprentice
  • Mood: Melancholy
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan with Wiccan and Druidic Leanings
  • Terri
    • Geek Witch
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 05:29:44 AM »

It will be Lammas here downunder :)

We're having a celebratory weekend on the 10th-12th (people were too busy the weekend immediately following Lammas) where we'll be having ritual, a wand-making workshop, games, etc. Really looking forward to it :)
Blessings,
Terri xx

The Divine Mrs.H

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 09:25:20 AM »

Being the first year that I'll be really trying to celebrate the Sabbats I'm also wondering what to do for Imbolc

We're in the same boat because it's my first year, too. I was planning to do a "pre-spring cleaning" as well, but I was also wanting to do a sort of "initiation" for myself, seeing as how it's the beginning of my journey. However, I'm clueless as to how to do this, so any information or tips would be greatly appriciated.  :D

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 09:46:09 AM »

Tahlea, thanks for reminding us and Blessed Lammas to you! It's one of my favorite Sabbats.

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 11:47:27 AM »

Being the first year that I'll be really trying to celebrate the Sabbats I'm also wondering what to do for Imbolc

We're in the same boat because it's my first year, too. I was planning to do a "pre-spring cleaning" as well, but I was also wanting to do a sort of "initiation" for myself, seeing as how it's the beginning of my journey. However, I'm clueless as to how to do this, so any information or tips would be greatly appriciated.  :D

If I could find my Cunningham.... he has some good suggestions. If you can get a hold of his "Guide for the Solitary Practitioner", especially on such short notice, it's worth it.

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 02:20:38 PM »

I did a dedication of myself of sorts as my first ritual. That involved determining how I planned to do rituals first (when and where to hold the ritual, how to cast a circle, candles, etc...). During the ritual, I made a personal statement aloud that I was dedicating myself to this path, had some quiet time for meditation and basking in the moon's shine, and then concluded the ritual. That's kind of basic-- you could get a lot more creative if you wanted. Have you read any of the 101 information on circle casting? It might help you decide the elements of ritual you wish to use. You could also start a list of your goals in following this path. Just some ideas... I think whatever you choose to do the important thing is that is personal and meaningful to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 28 queries.