Sabbats/Holidays and Esbats > Mabon

Mabon 2011--What are you planning?

<< < (7/7)

Green Seeker:
Well...the acorn thing didn't go so well. Although I've been extremely careful looking over the nuts before drying them in the oven and storing them until use for this past weekend the VAST majority were still spoiled. In particular, lots of the nutmeats were soft and rotten due to the activity of worms (even though these didn't have any visible holes on the outside). So after spending an hour cracking acorns and throwing away 4 to every 1 good one, I gave up..

They have been donated to the chipmunks.

Vordan, about the White Oaks, they have less tannins than other types of acorns, so they require less processing to make them palatable. Any kind of acorns is edible, just some require more work. This is what I read when I was first researching the topic.

I did make a pumpkin pie from scratch though! It turned out...okay...I didn't bother with a picture because the crust was black and scorched and I couldn't bear the shame. The actual pumpkin pie filling was amazing though so basically I just had a bunch of custard...

BronwynWolf:
You can always just bake the custard, Green. The crusts...I always wrap the edges with tin foil until the last ten minutes of baking time to keep it from burning.

Green Seeker:

--- Quote from: BronwynWolf on September 26, 2011, 10:20:13 AM ---You can always just bake the custard, Green. The crusts...I always wrap the edges with tin foil until the last ten minutes of baking time to keep it from burning.

--- End quote ---

Totally forgot about that step....but the pumpkin custard was really good!

earthmuffin:
 :tongueroll: Yum!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version