Pagan Journeys > Pagan Chat

Pop Culture Paganism

(1/2) > >>

Gandalf:
What is your opinion on it? For me, I don't really mind incorporating it into my practices. For example, taking an elven phrase from Lord of the Rings, putting protective intent into it, then casting it is an example of Pop Culture Paganism.

Now, worshiping the seven gods from Game of Thrones is different. It's creating a thought form and putting energy into that thought form.

People tend to get PCP and actual fantasy mixed up a lot. Worshiping the three goddesses from The Legend of Zelda is fantasy.   Taking "Fus Roh Dah" from Skyrim and putting protection intent into that is Pop Culture Paganism.

Feeedback and comments are appreciated!

Eternal Seeker:

What you describe is something akin to Chaos magic. Personally, If I were going to invent a deity for a magical purpose, I'd invent my own name, rather than using a pop culture reference, jus because I'd know what *I* mean when I use the word.

peace,
ES

dragonspring:
I am a traditional kind of girl - not into the pop culture stuff.  Privately, GW and I might have a good laugh about the tarot kit for "hip" witches we saw on the web last night, but I think people should practice whatever works for them.

Ghost Wolf:
Being a Witch, Pagan, or Heathen is to unplug from such puerile nonsense and listen to our own inner voice. One can not be in tune with the natural world while overloading on "pop culture."

Chadly:
Personally, I believe that if it has meaning for you, why not? In the past, I've utilized something called kuji-in, a Japanese martial arts chant/practice, which I was first exposed to in an anime I watch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version