Pagan Journeys > Pagan Chat

Attracting Nasty Critters

(1/2) > >>

Tinevisce:
In your personal experience, how often does energy work (regardless of what exact paradigm you're operating under :)) attract critters (I'm leaving the question general, so it could be either nasty or nice) without you explicitly invoking them?

I'm no better than an absolute newbie in many ways, but I've done conscious energy work on and off since at least 2006 (a blessing here, a shield spell there. I think the first proper spell I ever cast was a banishing done to do away with bad habits.), and I've never had any experiences of anything showing up uninvited. Well, except for one memorable episode where I freaked out for a half hour and was simply crippled by fear of one room in my house. Given how it only lasted for 30 odd minutes and never came back, it might just have been my subconscious warning me to not entangle myself into something potentially dangerous.  :whistle:

I have, however, often come across warnings from several quarters here that spell work can sometimes attract benign or malevolent entities. So, is there a pattern to the experiences- as in, they tend to show up after major rituals that involve calling down a deity; or is there no (discernible) method to the madness?

Eternal Seeker:

Yes, many things are attracted by workings of all kinds. This is why I do not teach raising energy in every ritual or esbat, but only if there's a productive use planned- raising energy is like raising crops; if you don't harvest it, all kinds of critters will come and party in the corn.

peace,
ES

Tinevisce:
So, basically, it's like...if I raise energy and let it fester without sending it out to a goal- that's when the problem starts? Would usual shielding/warding techniques act as sufficient safeguards?

Eternal Seeker:

You can shield or ward, sure- but you've still made what lawyers call "an attractive nuisance". Suppose you're out camping and make big tubs of popcorn. Raccoons, squirrels, Pan knows what else will come around sniffing the air. You can "ward" the popcorn behind netting, but all that will accomplish is getting you surrounded by big brown eyes trying to convince they haven't eaten since 1947. (Yes, the raccoons around here play the cute card HARD) They won't leave til the popcorn is gone. That will be the lesser spirits, landvaettir, whatever you want to call them. Higher powers may have other reactions. So either deliberately create a tribute for politeness' sake, acknowledge and give a nod to the wights, or don't create the attractive nuisance.

peace,
ES

Tinevisce:
Thank you, ES. Does this tribute need to be formal; or does a simple a candle/incense dedicated to them work? Also, what about malevolent entities- or is that term just too simplistic?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version