Pagan Journeys > Pagan Chat

Reasons for Getting Into the Craft

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tinevisce:
Thanks for all the responses guys! :)

Athena:
I don't remember when I got the calling but I remember being drawn to tarot reading during grad school. I learnt it and then left practicing for a really long time. However during all the downers in my life, I had this feeling that there was a never-ending source of light/energy which kept me going. And despite coming from a rigid family of Brahmins (since you are an Indian, I hope you'd understand it better than our other friends here), I was inclined towards nature worshiping since childhood. Thankfully, my family has been fair to me in acknowledgment and acceptance of my views.

My first brush to wicca and magi and witches came through a Paulo Coelho book - Brida, which I still carry around with me for an instant pick-me-up. It got me interested, as many things described in the tradition there matched to my personal experiences. I studied wicca as a religion for about an year, learning about the roots and passage in the history. However, I was never confident or courageous enough to follow the path.

A significant personal emotional loss recently, made me question myself a few months earlier. And I decided that to be fair to myself and to understand the finer threads of life, to answer my own questions, I need to go beyond the theory and start practicing what I had believed and ignored all these years.

Spells and magick, of course, are brownie points. But on a deeper level, it is more about healing and knowing for me.

DragonsFriend:
The magikal path is a reflection of life. No one is born running. You must first learn to crawl and then to walk before you run. Learning and practicing the basics is the foundation upon which your life is built. Entering into the magikal life is rarely easy but it is rewarding in ways that that extend from the mundane to the spiritual.

Tinevisce:

--- Quote from: Athena on October 11, 2015, 03:02:08 AM ---I don't remember when I got the calling but I remember being drawn to tarot reading during grad school. I learnt it and then left practicing for a really long time. However during all the downers in my life, I had this feeling that there was a never-ending source of light/energy which kept me going. And despite coming from a rigid family of Brahmins (since you are an Indian, I hope you'd understand it better than our other friends here), I was inclined towards nature worshiping since childhood. Thankfully, my family has been fair to me in acknowledgment and acceptance of my views.

My first brush to wicca and magi and witches came through a Paulo Coelho book - Brida, which I still carry around with me for an instant pick-me-up. It got me interested, as many things described in the tradition there matched to my personal experiences. I studied wicca as a religion for about an year, learning about the roots and passage in the history. However, I was never confident or courageous enough to follow the path.

A significant personal emotional loss recently, made me question myself a few months earlier. And I decided that to be fair to myself and to understand the finer threads of life, to answer my own questions, I need to go beyond the theory and start practicing what I had believed and ignored all these years.

Spells and magick, of course, are brownie points. But on a deeper level, it is more about healing and knowing for me.

--- End quote ---

Oh, hi! You're the only Indian I've ever come across on this forum or its pe-cursor: hail and well met, as they say!  :cheer: If I know Earth Muffin well enough, she'll be really excited to meet you. :)

I don't know how much "organised" divinity is a part of your path; but I found my own Bramhin upbringing (not as orthodox as it could have been, thank goodness) to be a great help regarding my relationship with Deity...I didn't have to spend a lot of heart-ache and uncertainty trying to decide a God/Goddess/Pantheon to call my own- I already knew them quite well.

That, and divorcing the core of our scriptures from the surrounding orthodoxy really helps me along my spiritual path. :)

thegeekwitch:
I certainly started from the "fluffy" aspects of the Craft.  I was 11 or 12 years old, had just seen "The Craft" with my sister (6 years my senior) and wanted to do what these chicks in the movie were doing, basically.  Around this time was when we also got the internet on our home computer,  so a lot of my time was spend on Witchvox and other witchy websites (some of them not so great, in hindsight) and I started writing things down, copying things out of library books, etc. and building my Book of Shadows.

It wasn't till after the first 12 months or so that I came to realise there was a spiritual aspect to the Craft, and so I studied more and more about it, and that lead me to Wicca and learning the basic principles of it.  I identified as Wiccan for probably the first 6-7 years, until I realised I was veering off a Wiccan path to what I call a more Eclectic Pagan way of thinking/being.  After meeting with local Pagans in 2008, and learning more and more from a group of people rather than what I could read online or from books, I have since "defined" (bad word because it's certainly not definite!) myself as "Eclectic Pagan with Druidic, Wiccan and Shaman tendancies" :P :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version