Pagan Journeys > Beginner's Chat

Patron discovery meditation has turned up something ... unexpected ...

(1/3) > >>

DisreputableMog:
To be specific a chess piece. A rook.

I've never learned or played chess. I'm not good at strategy in any facet of my life. And in all my research, I can't find a single deity, not even in Eastern and Asian pantheons, that have a strong relation to games.

I looked up the rook online and the best that I can figure out, it's symbolism would be something in relation to Persian chariots, which were heavily armored and usually manned by at least one archer. But it's equally likely to be representative of crenelated turret castles, from when the game was brought to the West (because of the pieces' appearance).

The rook can move any number of spots on the board in any direction as long as the pathway is clear, if I understand completely what I read. It is also a relatively valuable piece, directly under a queen.

My only other clue is fire. Literally. I ate a giant, two-palm-sized flame in one mouthful.

I am completely stumped. Any thoughts?

Tirya:
Food for thought - a "rook" is also a type of bird, related to the crow and raven. Depending on how the symbol apeared to you, it may be an interpretation to explore.

DisreputableMog:
I thought of that, but it just didn't seem to fit. It was a white-colored chess piece. (I forgot to mention that >>; ) Rooks are a kind of crow, aren't they?

Tirya:
They're related, but yeah, a white one isn't pinging for me. Someone more well-versed in Celtic lore might know otherwise, though.

Fox:
It is also possible that this is an indication that "your path is clear" and you "can go in any direction" rather than trying to focus on one specific aspect of deity.  Just a thought.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version