Pagan Journeys > Beginner's Chat

Pagan 101

<< < (3/7) > >>

DragonsFriend:
Those who are new to "the craft" have a great deal to "un-learn". The longer you lived with the common beliefs or, like me, the longer you try to correlate logic and science to magik, the longer it will take you to be accepting of the "real" world. If you can think it up and believe it is, then it will be. This is one of those things that the effect must come before the cause.

My first involvement with a group was at an "energy party" that I was invited to. A very nice young woman met me at the door and told me that I had a strong energy about me. Ok, she was very pretty and I would have walked hot coals to be close to her. She had me sit on the floor and sat down facing me. She put her hands in the air at shoulder height and told me to do the same. I was told to imagine a rubber ball between our hands and to make it grow. well I saw that image in my mind and started to do as she asked and then the strangest thing happened. There was nothing visible but there was something between our hands! it exerted a force very much like a beach ball. She told me to hold it as she put her hands down to her knees. I was holding an invisible beach ball! Someone walked by and the ball evaporated. She looked at the person and said something but I don't recall what it was. We got up off the floor and she led me to another room where we were alone. She told me to close my eyes and relax. (she could have told me to jump in the air and stay there and I probably would have tried) She directed me in the making of a psychic shield that would calm me. As I built that shield I was, for the first time since very early in my childhood, alone in my mind and emotions. I am an emotional empath and I never knew until that minute which emotions were mine and which were not. She told me to open my eyes and what I saw was a very different person. She was less attractive to me and more like an older sister than a potential girlfriend. I told her how I felt and what had happened and she went into a long description of why it was I saw her differently without all the noise from the others.
From that day on I could shield the emotions of others from myself. I wasn't schizophrenic after all!

vordan:
We seldom did energy work with new people, except basic grounding and being part of the circle. New people tended to either ruin energy work or get sick neither was a good result, sometimes just the energy just from the circle was too intense. People would come with a variety of energy and experience levels normally only one or two people at a time so we could adjust what we taught them to their needs. Some people never really would get it, some came for their spouses or partners. You have to look at each student and get a feel for what they were about, one size does not fit all.

DragonsFriend:
vordan,
I agree whole heartedly! We never let people join circle without an evaluation. Spouses are not automatically allowed. Children above the age of about four years old have also been problematic. When doing lessons the individuals can be worked with on a one-on-one basis or paired with someone with more experience.
In circle the high priest and high priestess have to manage the energy so it is up to them to keep things in place. Our open circles were always very simple with a clear objective and well defined before and during the circle. If the pre-ritual directives are described and each step along the way is well marked it is easier to keep people on task and the energy is easier to manage.

Tinevisce:

--- Quote from: earthmuffin on October 01, 2015, 07:46:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tinevisce on October 01, 2015, 06:04:38 PM ---
--- Quote ---If you raise a shield because you are feeling uncomfortable and it is ineffective it is time time to look in a mirror and see what is going on inside.
--- End quote ---

So true! As a novice though, I find it difficult to ascertain if a shield or similar energetic construct is ineffectual because of improper construction or because it can't block something that's coming from the inside :)

--- End quote ---

:yeahthat: I have a very difficult time believing/feeling like the shield is working for more than a few seconds at a time. I don't know if it is a problem with "suspension of disbelief," with sensing energy or with visualization.

--- End quote ---

Sorry DragonsFriend for somewhat hijacking this :)

@EM
TBH, this new knowledge of sensing my daily shield sort of just happened and it clicked onto place. I don't know what it is that I did right, but I can tell you what I did in the hopes of that helping you.
I used the molten fiery core of the Earth as a source, and that seemed to work really well for me. I have been pulled to make daily offerings of incense to the land ever since, though.

Re: the sensing part of it, it's not as though I feel particularly safer in general or less afraid of things that go bump in the night- it's really more like being aware of a layer of something surrounding me all the time.
I think, for me, popular media (TV shows, books and sometimes even books about energy work) presented the biggest obstacle in that they made me think that energy had to consciously make you feel a certain way. Like, a shield would always consciously make you feel safer....I actually got it into my head that if I didn't feel absolutely safe and protected, I must not be shielding right.

I've since been learning that that's not necessarily the case...am I making any sense at all?

earthmuffin:
Yes, thanks, T. I suspect I need to get into the habit of a daily meditation/visualization.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version