Pagan Journeys > Paths and Traditions

Why I don't consider Wicca a shamanic religion.

<< < (3/11) > >>

HappyZealot:

--- Quote from: Ghost Wolf on September 25, 2010, 04:47:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: earthmuffin on September 25, 2010, 04:15:36 PM ---
--- Quote from: Ghost Wolf on September 25, 2010, 11:18:16 AM ---Yep, quite good Muffin. I don't get how the two things got confused in people's minds, other than lack of research.

--- End quote ---

I don't either. I think it's because being Wiccan is cool and being a shaman is cool so being a Wiccan shaman is considered even cooler.  :whistle:

--- End quote ---

I think you're on to something, there.

--- End quote ---

Yeppers.  It's a based upon a drive to meld neo-Wicca with something other in order to make it cooler (when dropping the 'neo' from Wicca should be cool enough) and so doing to try and make Wicca into something cooler than it already is.
 :omg:

That being said, I believe that the merger of these two trads can be done... In fact I'd go so far as to suppose and suggest that Wicca can (should?) be shamanic in nature.

As an exhibit of evidence let me offer up C Penczak's Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft.
CP's inclusive approach is enough to give this syncretist a major stiffy.  Further, it might help the WalMart Wiccan move past the white-light-n-bunnies phase to truly confront the Shadow-self.
May I add that facing the Dark is a royal beeyotch at best, regardless of trad; it's not for driveby Wiccans, nor for anyone faint of heart or light of scrote.  But it ain't easy for anyone; however I'd suggest giving CP's technique an honest read.

Eternal Seeker:

"In fact I'd go so far as to suppose and suggest that Wicca can (should?) be shamanic in nature." Shamanism is a specialty and a technique that someone of almost any religion can pursue if they've a gift for it, just as Oncology is a specialty any doctor can pursue if that is their choice...but no one can tell you that you should do it. It is a choice and a calling.

peace,
ES

earthmuffin:

--- Quote from: Eternal Seeker on September 26, 2010, 07:56:04 AM ---
"In fact I'd go so far as to suppose and suggest that Wicca can (should?) be shamanic in nature." Shamanism is a specialty and a technique that someone of almost any religion can pursue if they've a gift for it, just as Oncology is a specialty any doctor can pursue if that is their choice...but no one can tell you that you should do it. It is a choice and a calling.

peace,
ES

--- End quote ---

:yeahthat:

I'd also add that it's difficult and potentially dangerous to delve into just on the basis of reading a few books. A good mentor/teacher is a must, in my opinion.

HZ, I hadn't heard of the Penczak book. Will have to check it out. Thanks for mentioning it.

HappyZealot:
It's a good 'ern, but like you say it's no subsitute for flesh-n-blood mentorship.

vordan:
Interesting post, I think that the element of spiritual mediumship is another reason that people sometimes refer to Wicca and even Pentecostal Christians as being shamanistic. The ability to connect directly to spiritual energies is a feature often left out of mainstream religions. While shamanism and Wicca are very different things, I think the trend toward solitary practitioners has encouraged even more of that direct channeling of the spiritual without reliance on structure or clergy. Shamanism from a anthropology background, is normally a tribal phenomenon learned by means of apprenticeship, more of varied techniques of ecstatic communion. That shamanistic techniques are used increasingly by many Wiccans is true but as your post so nicely pointed out they are different.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version