Pagan Journeys > Paths and Traditions

Hedge Witchery and Other Shamanic Practices

<< < (2/4) > >>

Shalandriel:
I too have worked with many gods in the past, but the Babylonian/Sumerian gods/practices are what I've settled into.  I first started with an interested in Wicca (BTW, I had/have no interest in "eclectic" Wicca) but a few things turned me away from it.  I have worked with the Greek pantheon in depth, even exploring the Eleusinian Mysteries with my coven.  I've also worked with some of the Egyptian pantheon.  I've studied a bit about the Celtic and Norse cultures, faiths and gods, but neither seemed like a good fit for me.  This is probably why I never felt comfortable reading the runes as well.  However, I have stopped working with any other pantheons since deciding that becoming a recon. was what I wanted.  Ishtar had been calling to me since I first began studying paganism.  However, she required certain things that I was not comfortable or ready to do until about 6 years ago.  I developed my relationship with her first, while learning about the other gods.  Guglanna was the second god of this pantheon that I studied and began worshiping as he is, at one point, an important consort to Ishtar and his death is the reason she descends into the underworld.  After I was comfortable in my relationship with her, she kind of "introduced" me to the "seven who decree fate" (she is a part of the seven).  They are essentially the governing council of the gods.  Over the past few months, my study has expanded and I've begun honoring the other gods, such as Ereshkigal and Nergal.

I do love finding the similarities between different religions and pantheons.  I've even begun tracing the Judeo-Christian god back to ancient Mesopotamia.  I'm doing it for a friend, but it's very interesting to see where "God" originated from and to see that he wasn't always a part of a monotheistic faith.  It's very interesting to see where many of the Judeo-Christian beliefs of their God originated.

NowhereMan, I am sure, that with time, you will find yourself more open/receptive to the spirits.  While I've always had a knack for such things (I would even receive visions as a child, though they were never of anything important/significant), I do find myself opening up to more of it as I delve deeper into my practices.  I've recently begun having more experiences with what I would consider to be underworld spirits (spirits with an affinity/tie to the underworld, not "evil" or dead things) since I began honoring Ereshkigal, the ruler of the underworld.  I've also recently finalized my bond with my spirit familiar (I'm not sure if you know what an alraun is, but my familiar is in that form), which is an underworld spirit so I think that has also attributed.  I feel that because I have opened myself up to it, I am beginning to experience new mysteries.  So, just keep at it!

dragonspring:

--- Quote from: Shalandriel on August 11, 2013, 10:22:09 AM ---So, just keep at it!

--- End quote ---
Agreed.  I think that it takes a while for most people to deprogram themselves from the influence of modern western society.  At least it was that way for me.

NowhereMan:

--- Quote from: dragonspring on August 11, 2013, 12:58:08 PM ---
--- Quote from: Shalandriel on August 11, 2013, 10:22:09 AM ---So, just keep at it!

--- End quote ---
Agreed.  I think that it takes a while for most people to deprogram themselves from the influence of modern western society.  At least it was that way for me.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. :)

Shalandriel:
Happy to give it!  I remember when I started out I had some serious problems with getting into even a basic meditative state.

NowhereMan:
Do either of you have any tips on meditating and getting into a trance state? The vanilla stuff on the net never really cuts it hehe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version