Pagan Journeys > Beginner's Chat

Pagan 101

(1/7) > >>

DragonsFriend:
I am wondering how many here have taken a Paganism or Wicca 101 class and what you learned from it.

I am going to be putting on such a class in the near future that will contain the "standard" 101 topics of Etiquette, Ethics, Centering and Grounding, Theories of Magik, Introduction to Energy, Introduction to Sacred Space, Magikal Names, and the Isaac Bonewits Cult Evaluation framework.

earthmuffin:
I never had a class but got my 101 from reading books. I think your topics sound good-- probably a lot broader than I got into with my own studying. Do you touch on psychic defense at all under any of the topic headings? I found I was lacking there- also in the Intro to energy which I find difficult to grasp from the limited info in Wicca books I have read. Taking Tai Chi was much more helpful for me in that department and quizzing the elders on this forum.

Eternal Seeker:

I have taught a number of such classes, including as a consulting chaplain in five prisons.

peace,
ES

DragonsFriend:

--- Quote from: earthmuffin on September 29, 2015, 10:31:15 PM ---I never had a class but got my 101 from reading books. I think your topics sound good-- probably a lot broader than I got into with my own studying. Do you touch on psychic defense at all under any of the topic headings? I found I was lacking there- also in the Intro to energy which I find difficult to grasp from the limited info in Wicca books I have read. Taking Tai Chi was much more helpful for me in that department and quizzing the elders on this forum.

--- End quote ---

In the introduction to energy I teach basic shielding and when it should be used. I should point out that most "psychic" attacks are "internal". Insecurities and guilt are much more common than attacks by others. this doesn't mean it doesn't happen, only that it is rare.

vordan:
I had an eclectic Wiccan coven for 12 years, we stressed ethics, the way to behave in a circle, the wheel of the year briefly, and the quarters to those starting. We tended to have participation as a big part of the learning process, I would take time to explain what we were doing to new people as we did them. The previous High Priest liked the ceremony more and the formal structure of classes,  people learn by doing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version