Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stupid Question Alert  (Read 9246 times)

diniesaur

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Something to do with Set and possibly Bast
Stupid Question Alert
« on: October 14, 2011, 06:10:19 PM »

Hi...I know this question is probably really stupid, but I honestly am not sure about the answer. My question is--do I have to be interested in magic/spells to be pagan? I've been reading about it a lot, and from what I've seen a lot of people say that magic is an important part of their religion as pagans. While I like the idea of rituals, I don't feel that interested in performing spells to get things to happen.

Also, what's the difference between magic and just praying? Part of why I wanted to get back into Paganism was because I was trying to get back in contact with a friend I love very much and I prayed to the Goddess for an opportunity to see her. A few days later, I got called to answer questions at an Autism conference (my friend and I both have Asperger's Syndrome), and she was there! Was this magic, or just praying?

Zlat

• Apprentice
Re: Stupid Question Alert
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 06:37:27 PM »

No you don't need to partake in magic to be pagan. And the basic difference between magic and praying is that praying is where you ask for or honor something; magic is where you take the wish into your own hands and use your willpower to bring about the result.

It's more technical than that, but I'll let someone else go into the details as my time is short tonight  :D

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 07:34:06 PM »

There really aren't any stupid questions if your purpose truly is to learn from the answers you get.  ;)

You absolutely do not have to be interested in magic to be Pagan.  There are many Pagan paths that do not incorporate magic into their practice.  ES has written a really wonderful piece about magic and touches on magic vs prayer that I think may help you understand some of the differences and similarities.

http://www.paganjourneys.com/index.php?topic=189.msg547#msg547
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

diniesaur

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 07:52:06 PM »

Thanks! Both replies were helpful, and the article helped me feel a lot better. I just never was that interested in doing spells when I could be doing something else productive and interesting like homework or meditating. They're cool to study, but I can't picture myself doing one. I can, however, picture myself doing a ritual.

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 07:58:47 PM »

Knowing what you want and what works for you is a big part of finding a practice that fits you.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

Zlat

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 08:56:53 PM »

Personally, my magic work is usually done via prayer. They do tend to coincide  in some cases, but I usually leave the fate to highers beyond my own.

You may find several years down the line you may get interested in basic candle magic or something too, so I would encourage you to at least read over the basics a little bit just to get curiosity's sake out of the way :)

shadowewolf

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 08:50:44 PM »

Its certainly not necessary to use magick to be pagan. I used to be a spell-a-day girl when I first started out. now I usually just pray and do energy healings when asked (and channeling of course) but its all strictly personal. "And Thee harm none do what thou wilt". Hope that helps

treeforest

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Witch
    • Treeforest
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 06:25:40 PM »

I'm not quite a magic person, either. I do cast spells, but they tend to me more along the lines of... "Open my eyes to the beauty of the world/the Divine/myself," or "Grant me the courage to do what is best for myself at all times." For me, this kick-starts my personal will power because the intent has been spoken and has been expressed in the presence of whatever Elements or Deities I have brought to my circle. Just as I find it easier to accomplish a list of tasks when I have actually made a To-Do List, I find it easier to manifest my destiny when I have spoken my goals aloud.

My younger brother also has Asperger's syndrome. He is 19 and has just started college!

diniesaur

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 07:05:12 PM »

I can see all your points about doing magic that is more prayer-like or praying for strength, etc.. I have prayed for things like that. I think my prayer works very well, since everything I've prayed for has happened to my knowledge. It makes me feel like the Divine cares and is watching out for us.

treeforest, I've just started college, too! I bet it's exciting for him.

I have another question now. I've been told sometimes that it's bad to do magic to help other people unless they ask because it takes away their free will. Is it bad to pray for them without them asking? This is because I've heard stories about bad things happening to people (usually on the news) and I've prayed for things to get better for them. I also pray for dead animals I see on the road to feel happy as they pass on. Is this bad?

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 07:13:08 PM »

If someone is incapable of asking for help due to extreme circumstances (like death), I don't have a problem with praying for them or burning a candle, etc.  In the case of people I don't know, I might ask the Divine to provide whatever help they need and are willing to accept.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

diniesaur

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 07:25:19 PM »

dragonspring, that's kind of what I do, except I should have added in the part where they get the help they are willing to accept. That makes sense.

treeforest

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Witch
    • Treeforest
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 07:03:24 PM »

My husband has a generally very negative attitude towards some things, and is also a fan of saying that he can't control how he reacts to situations. I often burn sage, candles, consecrate black salt and do other sorts of banishing activities without him knowing. I'm not sure how he would react to it if he knew, probably the next time he was upset at something he would just talk about how it doesn't work :/ I feel in this situation it isn't so bad to work magic for another person, because I know him very well, his attitude effects me and his fate is very much tied to mine.

Every time I see a dead animal I close my eyes for a second and wish them a higher rebirth.

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 08:39:26 PM »

I would have to disagree that because we are mated to someone, it is OK to do magic without their consent or even against their will.  One can protect oneself from harm caused by that persons actions but changing how someone responds to a given situation is affecting their will whether it is better for them in our opinion or not.  But that is just my opinion.  Everyone must make their own choices.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 27 queries.