Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Privacy/circle casting Issues/small children  (Read 8421 times)

Angelik83

• Validating
Privacy/circle casting Issues/small children
« on: July 12, 2011, 11:04:29 AM »

I tried to search the forum but I must be doing it wrong because it won't let me....so if it's been answered already I'm sorry.

But here's my issue. My youngest child is 4. He doesn't go to school yet, he doesn't take naps, and he stays up way too late. lol! And he rarely leaves the house. He has anger issues and authority issues. (which is either due to a chemical imbalance and/or head trauma from quite a bad fall when he was 2. The doctors are still trying to figure it out.) So my life is very hands on with him, a lot of appointments, dietary changes, and I've even begun trying to work with crystals with him so see if that helps.

So a lot of the time when I attempt to draw up a circle, he runs right through it. So if anyone out there with small children practices what do you do? Should I invite him into the circle? Just keep trying to make one? Only do practices the once or twice a month that he is away? I'm so confused.

Also if there is a board or site that has ideas or thoughts on introducing children to wicca that would be greatly appreciated. My oldest is 10.

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
Re: Privacy/circle casting Issues/small children
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 11:36:54 AM »

Actually, young children can run in and out of a circle without damaging it because they have the pure type of energy, much like animals can walk freely through it without the need of cutting a doorway.

I have young children but they know to stay out of the way unless I invite them over. I run my own coven out of my house so I know all to well the joys of trying to do anything with kiddlings LOL.

My suggestion is to let the child help you. It may take longer but it will keep him occupied and he may get a better understanding/respect of what you are trying to do.

As for your 10 year old, he is at the age to decide on his own if he wants to walk the Wiccan path or another path of his choice. Does he know that you are Wiccan? If not...now would be the time to explain it. If he is interested, let him see what you do. Explain the smaller things like why there is a goddess and god, why you celebrate full moons and sabbats. Things like that would be easy for him to understand without overwhelming him

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more

Angelik83

• Validating
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 02:13:13 PM »

wow thanks! I had read that my familiar could walk in and out and was surprised and delighted when indeed she was attracted to what I was doing. She came in from another room to help when she couldn't even see what I was doing. :) My son also seems attracted to it.

My 10 year old I have vaguely explained things to. However she was slightly scared yet intrigued by it when I had told her that I was going to go back to practicing. (I haven't practiced since she was a baby) She leans more towards the christian faith although she hasn't had much formal learning about it. She went to church a few times and had fun there. But she also very much enjoys the disney versions of witches.

I think she's at an age where she can decide which way she wants to go for now, I will officially explain the wiccan religion to her soon vs. Christianity and whatever she chooses is fine with me. And I will be as unbiased in description as possible. lol!

I feel so much better knowing that my 4 year old can't break the circle though. thanks so much!! :)

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 02:18:03 PM »

That's what I was always taught anyways. Children of a young age can move in and out freely because they have such pure energy. Usually once they get to around your older daughters age is when doorways will need cut for them

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: through the spiritual garden
    • CUUmbaya
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 06:00:01 PM »

Here's a good resource for kids, by the way: http://www.pookapages.com/

peace,
ES
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 09:36:47 PM »

Maybe making special circle cookies might be something to give them good memories of the circles. Also another thought would be to extend the circle to cover the whole house or area you are in. Lots of pagan kids become uninterested in the circles after awhile, they will find their own path. Combining nature studies like walks in woods and gardens into your practices is something lots of kids like. My son is mildly autistic and had other problems so I have kept it simple for him. The thing I taught him was respect for the divine which surrounds us, people, animals and all living things. That respect has made him a polite and gentle young man.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:47:42 PM by vordan »
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

Mongo

• Dungeon Master of Irish Diplomacy
  • Global Moderator
    • Mongo's Musings
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 09:19:39 AM »

On a side note, My familiar was an odd one. She would not enter the circle at random. She always waited until one of us cut a door to step out and back in.

Then she would circle the area until she came to the door and cross in there and there only.

I miss that cat.
“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 23 queries.